Please recommend me some paint

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I need some paint for an awkward job in difficult conditions. I'd be grateful if somebody who knows about these things can recommend something appropriate.

The background is that at my rowing club we have an ongoing safety issue with the channel marker posts. These are posts which are stuck in the middle of the river to indicate to boat traffic which side of an island is navigable, or which way leads to the lock, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, when viewed from low down on the water they are not very easily visible against cluttered backgrounds - especially since rowers face backwards, so they have to look over their shoulders - and one in particular is quite close to the recommended line for rowing, which makes it a collision hazard. In the last few months we've had two collisions and one capsizing due to this. Fortunately nobody has been hurt, but it's not acceptable to be relying on fortune.

1561125081437.png

So the cunning plan is to paint them white, to improve their visibility. And the question arises as to what sort of paint should I use? The posts are wooden, about 2 metres tall and maybe 20 cm wide. They're made of roughly sawn wood, which has presumably been treated with some kind of waterproofing agent, and obviously they're out there in all conditions 24/365. Ideally I'd use something which will go on thickly and well with just one coat. Given the difficulty of doing this, and the logistics - I need to organise launch drivers, safety lookouts, etc - I have a huge preference for being able to do it in one trip, even if the materials required to do it that way are more expensive.

Can anybody recommend something suitable?

Out of interest, here are a couple of screen grabs from Google Maps to illustrate the posts.

1561124292809.png

Not from experience, more thinking out loud......

For something that needs to be as highly visible as possible:-
  1. I would have a look at Retro-Reflective Paint

2. or better yet because it/they can be made on dry land and transported to site and simply(?) fitted.
    A Retro-Reflective sign that could be screwed/bolted to the existing sign or to replace it?
    NB there are various colours of this material so surely one meets the river "bye laws" as well as practicality :)
PS there are a few sign makers in Maidenhead, so perhaps go and pick their brains as appropriate ref my thoughts above and Suz's suggestion and see what makes sense.

Last edited:
Why bother with paint?

I'd have a chat with the local sign-maker and get some of that plastic boarding that they stick vinyl graphics to for their signs. Cut them into strips and screw them on the post or for a quick job; just staple them on with heavy-duty staples. You may get lucky and just pick up some off-cuts.

I think they'll last longer than paint and they'll certainly be highly visible - they may even do it in a fluorescent colour?

You could just drop an old traffic cone on top, might not be quite the look you are going for though. :LOL:

Yacht paint...

Truck marker boards, screw them on with copper wood screws. Should last a long time.

I’d be tempted as above to use ally backed Hgv marker boards and screw to post. (Maybe)

Or personally I’d make a sleeve to drop over, either round or square (depending what fits best, ( maybe drain pipe or something ? ) then you can do all the hard work/painting/stickers/reflective Hgv tape on dry land, then just go out and drop it over. (Hgv market tape is pretty dam strong, withstands power washing and being out in all weather for months/years)
At least this way you remove the wood problem from the paint/colour problem.

Cheaper options but this sort of thing
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131788514417

Last edited:
Could you sleeve the posts in white reflective plastic?
A Retro-Reflective sign that could be screwed/bolted to the existing sign or to replace it?
I'd have a chat with the local sign-maker and get some of that plastic boarding that they stick vinyl graphics to for their signs. Cut them into strips and screw them on the post or for a quick job; just staple them on with heavy-duty staples. You may get lucky and just pick up some off-cuts.
Truck marker boards, screw them on with copper wood screws. Should last a long time.
I’d be tempted as above to use ally backed Hgv marker boards and screw to post. (Maybe)
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I must admit I hadn't considered plastic boards. I'm still not sure, because
(1) Ideally I'd prefer to do the job in just one trip - I don't want to have to go out first to measure up; and
(2) I'm not sure I fancy trying to screw something into a fixed post from a moving boat.

But I'll discuss it with the other folk at the rowing club and see whether they think it's viable.

Wing mirrors? ;)
Ha ha. Funny you should mention that. My peripheral vision is absolutely awful, and as a consequence I don't get involved with steering boats. But I'm currently looking at whether I might get myself a glasses-mounted or cap-mounted rear view mirror.
1561393688586.png1561393842009.png

Having said that, even if all the boats were fitted with wing mirrors (and there are practical reason why they aren't), it's obviously harder to see things in little mirrors than it is when you're looking straight at them, and these posts are really not very visible. I don't think it's an ideal solution. But thanks for the suggestion.

(2) I'm not sure I fancy trying to screw something into a fixed post from a moving boat.

Maybe some industrial strength spray paint would be easier than brushing or screwing?

You could just drop an old traffic cone on top, might not be quite the look you are going for though. :LOL:
Not quite!

But also, when people are rowing their heads and eyes are about 1m or a little less above the water. In their brief glimpses over their shoulders they're primarily looking for other objects which are at a similar altitude - other boats, swimmers, floating logs, water fowl, anglers' floats, etc. Having a traffic cone on top of the post - if we could reach to get it on top, which I doubt - wouldn't be terribly useful or helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Made me laugh.

Yacht paint...
Would that be appropriate? I know nothing about its characteristics. I would have imagined that yacht paint would be designed to enable users to get very good, smooth finishes, possibly with multiple coats. That sounds like the exact opposite of the sort of slap-it-on-thickly approach I had in mind. But as I said, I know nothing about the characteristics of yacht paint. Can you elaborate please?

Or personally I’d make a sleeve to drop over, either round or square (depending what fits best, ( maybe drain pipe or something ? ) ...
Good idea - I like the notion of separating the prep work from the installation - but not physically possible, I'm afraid. Check out the images in the OP - these vertical posts have horizontal signs (e.g. <<CHANNEL<< ) attached to them, so anything you might drop over the top of the post would get stuck at the top.

Good idea - I like the notion of separating the prep work from the installation - but not physically possible, I'm afraid. Check out the images in the OP - these vertical posts have horizontal signs (e.g. <<CHANNEL<< ) attached to them, so anything you might drop over the top of the post would get stuck at the top.

Hmmmm! as suggested above by myself and another re: retro-reflective material or similar........................but rather than something dropped over or nailed how about a wrap around joined with Velcro ~ though having said that it might be beneficial to add a screw or two to stop it slipping down the pole.

This is made and can be sorted off site and once at station placed and secured fairly quickly :)

PS if a sign is the ideal ~ made off site > fixed to a backing that compliments the radius/shape of the post...> through that backing mount put a ratchet strap for speedy secure fitting to the post > most such straps (the industrial ones?) have a method of 'locking them' against accidental or intentional opening ~ voila, a short time at post to finish the job :)

Last edited:
could you attach the channel sign to the sleeve, again slightly more work, but on dry land, just trying to think what's going to be easiest and in my mind going out and dropping/putting something over is easier than trying to fix/wrap on a bobbing boat with wind and tide pushing you around.

Would that be appropriate? I know nothing about its characteristics. I would have imagined that yacht paint would be designed to enable users to get very good, smooth finishes, possibly with multiple coats. That sounds like the exact opposite of the sort of slap-it-on-thickly approach I had in mind. But as I said, I know nothing about the characteristics of yacht paint. Can you elaborate please?
It's designed to withstand the elements and is available in many colours.

Not quite!

But also, when people are rowing their heads and eyes are about 1m or a little less above the water. In their brief glimpses over their shoulders they're primarily looking for other objects which are at a similar altitude - other boats, swimmers, floating logs, water fowl, anglers' floats, etc. Having a traffic cone on top of the post - if we could reach to get it on top, which I doubt - wouldn't be terribly useful or helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Made me laugh.

As a more serious suggestiin, could you not get some dayglow plastic material, possibly with strips of scotchbright and wrap the posts and cable tie it on? It has to be better than trying to apply any kind of liquid paint at or just above the water line.

Last edited:
Back