Pleasley Pit - Deer & Barn Owl

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently started going to an old pit that has been converted into a nature reserve. I started off just at the lake at the top of the reserve but walking back to the car one evening I noticed a Barn Owl fly around the pit and into a box. I've since been back to try and get some photos of the Barn Owl and just completely lucked into a Roe Deer sighting (at first glance I disregarded it as just another dog off the lead) which was my first ever encounter with one. I managed to get some ok looking photos before an actual dog scared it off. I also got a few shots of the Barn Owl flying out of the nest box which, again, are ok but this was mainly a scouting mission. I'm going to be turning this site into a project for the whole reserve I think as it's close by and the angles you can get with the camera are fantastic and not too hard to reach. I also want to try and record the Barn Owl's hunting efficiency and the direction it departs and returns from to try and get a better shot of it while hunting rather than the nest box. Currently, I have seen 1 Owl, which I suspect is the male, hunting but it returns to the box every half hour or so, so leads me to believe there is a female possibly on chicks or at least eggs. This is the first Barn Owl I've ever seen 'up close' for an extended period of time so I'm loving the opportunity it is presenting. Anyway, that's enough background for now. Here are a few photos I've managed to capture.
27932157037_82d8876004_k.jpg 28927578058_feee871214_k.jpg 28968654538_f7ffc411a5_k.jpg 40990568060_eadcf834a4_k.jpg 41030943050_136797bc28_k.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Tom. Keep them coming.

Back