Plug hole brush?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Im back, with my inane queries.

I dismantled my kitchen undersink pipes to try and clear a blockage and all the pipes were fine. It was the actual plug hole that was bunged up. I managed to clean out the holes but ideally I would like a purpose built brush/tool for the job. Does anybody know if there is such an item? In my minds eye it's a metal centre with a spiral sort of line of bristles running up it. About 4" long with a t-bar handle maybe?

Cheers!

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
Looks close but the narrow wire gauge of it, with the force needed for a good clean of the plug hole would bend it in no time I think. Thanks for the link though.

There are all sorts of brushes .........but the sort of obstruction that you describe might be amenable to a good plunger.

Though not this exact one (ours only has the sink/bath end piece) but since getting it some years back it has always worked to clear the problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07571Q...t=&hvlocphy=1007127&hvtargid=pla-464159093907

Just a tip ~ when using it make sure to hold a damp cloth firming over the overflow hole ......if you don't the sludge will be pushed out of that into the sink/bath.

PS it doesn't mean that you never need a brush but using the above plunger reduces that need to very rarely required.

PPS the one I have I use by filling the sink with water you then fill the plunger with sink water and use that to plunge the plughole i.e. hydraulic not air pressure.

Last edited:
Ive used a plunger on it many times, It either clears it for a day and then clogs up again or doesnt do anything. The good clear out I gave it and its still draining well over a week later.

Ive used a plunger on it many times, It either clears it for a day and then clogs up again or doesnt do anything. The good clear out I gave it and its still draining well over a week later.

Granted we all have different experiences but for me, once I switched from the more conventional (old style) cup plunger to the one above it was a revelation. I typically now only need to do it every few months but YMMV.

A lot of it will be grease related, a strong cleaner like washing soda with hot water would dissolve it.
In a similar vein we changed the bathroom suite a few weeks ago and have been looking for a toilet brush which actually keeps on top of the awkward bits almost round the bend.
Ideally it wants to be shaped like a hockey stick but 90% of them are the exact same (wrong) shape.
Found one on Amazon which more or less fits the bill but it seems to be coming from China and doesn't look like last ing too long - cheap though.

Drink real coffee and flush the grounds down the sink. They do not clump together and act as an abrasive.

Old toothbrush, or a small bottle brush.
Toothbrushes can be cut down width wise quite easily with a small saw.

Last edited:
The 'grate' of the plughole is usually held in with a single screw in the centre, take it off and give the whole thing a good clean before refitting.

The 'grate' of the plughole is usually held in with a single screw in the centre, take it off and give the whole thing a good clean before refitting.
I wouldn't recommend that :) unless you want water everywhere.

I wouldn't recommend that :) unless you want water everywhere.

? we're talking about the open grating that stops (or is supposed to) solid stuff going down the plug hole are we not?

Ah wait I think I see now, the drain pipe is connected by that same screw...

But then... if he's got the pipes apart anyway....

Last edited:
? we're talking about the open grating that stops (or is supposed to) solid stuff going down the plug hole are we not?

Ah wait I think I see now, the drain pipe is connected by that same screw...

But then... if he's got the pipes apart anyway....
Normally you have to silicone everything up, might have to replace the seals

Surely a plugoletopus keeps said orifice clear of obfustications?

Im back, with my inane queries.

I dismantled my kitchen undersink pipes to try and clear a blockage and all the pipes were fine. It was the actual plug hole that was bunged up. I managed to clean out the holes but ideally I would like a purpose built brush/tool for the job. Does anybody know if there is such an item? In my minds eye it's a metal centre with a spiral sort of line of bristles running up it. About 4" long with a t-bar handle maybe?

Cheers!

You need either a test tube brush (come in different sizes) or if you want something bigger, get one of the brushes for cleaning out a wine makers demijohn - which is a bigger version of a test tube brush :)

Untie a wire coat hangar. They are surprisingly effective. *old school
Do you know, I dont think Ive got any of them in the house any more! All plastic ones with "XL" written on them or wooden "posh" ones with me best trousers on!

A lot of it will be grease related, a strong cleaner like washing soda with hot water would dissolve it.
In a similar vein we changed the bathroom suite a few weeks ago and have been looking for a toilet brush which actually keeps on top of the awkward bits almost round the bend.
Ideally it wants to be shaped like a hockey stick but 90% of them are the exact same (wrong) shape.
Found one on Amazon which more or less fits the bill but it seems to be coming from China and doesn't look like last ing too long - cheap though.
The exciting new bog brush came yesterday and must say the design is excellent for getting into corners, it is rather lightweight construction so perhaps a degree of care needed not to be too forceful.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KZVXPC8/

Back