Plumbers tape for White Balance?

Edit My Images
Yes
Well that is wheeze of solution. I have my WhiBal card when needed :)

Just struck me though, I wonder what a TSA agent (or equivalent) would make of "white tape" & a "block of white material" in your camera bag???

What a load of tosh!
I saw that and wondered if plumbers tape is a different shade of white compared to, say, electrical insulating tape or white gaffer tape?

On the site they say:

"Plumber’s tape works as a white balance reference because of the properties of the polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) used.

Sintered PTFE has been known to have high spectral purity, low opacity (that’s why 4 layers is enough), and a very diffused reflection with close-to-1 factor for many years,” LibRaw states.

On the site they say:

"Plumber’s tape works as a white balance reference because of the properties of the polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) used.

Sintered PTFE has been known to have high spectral purity, low opacity (that’s why 4 layers is enough), and a very diffused reflection with close-to-1 factor for many years,” LibRaw states.
More tosh!
White tape is white tape.
Obviously a load of BS created by the tape manufacturer.

Sorry, but no.

Most white tape is not spectrally flat nor diffuse, some even flouresce.

Reactions: Nod
I have no expertise on the subject of WB, but just wanted to point out that PTFE tape is very different from insulating tape.
50p a roll... typical B&Q overpriced rip off, you can get a roll for 29p at screwfix.

Sorry, but no.

Most white tape is not spectrally flat nor diffuse, some even flouresce.
Yes of course.
My white is whiter than your white - shades of the old washing powder wars!

When a "pure" white is needed, only a pure white will do.

It would be quite interesting to see what RGB values assorted tapes have when shot with a "real" pure white reference.

Yes of course.
My white is whiter than your white - shades of the old washing powder wars!

Washing powders use optical brightening agents which flouresce UV light into the blue spectrum.

For camera white balancing you need a spectrally flat, non-specular reflector. The further you move from those properties the less accurate the white balance will be.

What a load of tosh!
I saw that and wondered if plumbers tape is a different shade of white compared to, say, electrical insulating tape or white gaffer tape?

I've actually tried it a while back and the results were very good, have you? :wave:

Last edited:
Back