Pointing a digital camera into the sun

Edit My Images
Yes
Will the sensor get damaged by pointing it into the sun? :suspect1:

On long exposure - definately, on short exposures, you shouldnt have any problems

Obviously it wouldn't be a healthy idea to look through the viewfinder whilst you do it ! Sorry but it had to be said ...

Haven't noticed a problem with mine and thats been pointed into the sun on a few occasions. I don't think it's great for the sensor, but as long as you're using a short exposure you should be ok.

The only thing I have read that says not to do it, was talking about using mirror lock up and then pointing the camera at the sun.....apparently it can be bad for the shutter.

all the above advice is sound, but as with any optical device you must ensure you do not look through the actual viewfinder of any digital camera, this includes compacts , however the very nature of an slr means you must use the viewfinder to compose the image, so os be very carefull, as for damage to the sensor it shouldnt harm , but you can never be sure

there will be no problem looking at any digital compact screen ( live image ) of the sun as the output of the screen will not be bright enough to damage your eyes, bit like watching welding on the telly, if you see what i mean

at the end of the day a damaged sensor can be replaced, the same can not be said for your eyesight...........

MyPix

Back