Polar bear

He does look rather vulnerable doesn't he ... thought provoking to see :)

Lovely photos, I wish I could see them in their natural environment as well.

Wow! Very nice! Always wanted to go see the polar bears at Svarbard. Silly question, but do you stay on the boat the whole time, or can you stay on the island?

Looks like an amazing experience and some nice images from it.

Superb shots of a wonderful bear, a long way to go but worth the effort and expense - I expect that is an experience you will remember for ever.

Chris

You get off for a tour of Pyramiden, which was about an hour long and very worth it (the guide who lives there was very funny). The whole trip was 8 hours long and we stayed looking at the bear for almost an hour and a half which was great (the guide bought everyone a whisky to celebrate the event!).

It is rare to see bears in that part of Svalbard- mostly there are in the north and west where the ice is most- which can be expensive boat trips...

If you can afford it you should go. I'll certainly always remember the feeling of seeing this amazing creature.

P.S. I was thinking of putting some of the photos in a trip report thread- is that better to start in general section??

Last edited:
I would like to read your trip report - sounds like a good idea to put it in a new thread.

My only experience of going that far north was a boat trip to Longyearbyen, with just a few hours to explore the settlement (town?), a fascinating place, but no polar bears to be seen in the "High Street".

Chris

I think your shots are very good indeed, but the third image is very special IMO, that backdrop is a sight to see and love the small in frame PB.

Excellent Habitat shot.

Really appreciate your kind comments, I was in bad place photography-wise but your comments have given me a kick in the pants.

Would love to see polar bears. Must be even greater to capture them in the wild. Excellent photos

That is amazing. You certainly had a great time. The pictures that you have taken really show both the bear and the incredible environment. I even feel cold just looking at the pictures. Truly spectacular, you should be very pleased and proud.

Wow! Agreed its mind blowing.

I never venture into this section, but good grief. That last photo with the teeny Polar Bear and the massive glacier is epic. I clicked through to Flickr to see it bigger but I suspect to really appreciate it, a big print would be the way! Great work.

Back