?

What stops you attending photo meets arranged on TP ?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2017.
  1. Location / Venue

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Date

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. Shy

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Don't think I'm a good enough photographer

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Not interested in meeting other photographers

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Costs

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Following another successful & fun meet at the weekend ( The National Memorial Arboretum ) @posiview & i were chatting on the way back about Why don't more folk join in meets arranged on here ?

We've both been members of TP for around 7 years & have met a great bunch of folk through the forum & become close mates & we regularly meet up for days out or weekends away.
    As an example, the 52's Challenge....each year @posiview or someone will try & arrange an End of Challenge meet but rarely more than 3 or 4 of those taking part will express any interest .....just curious as to why?

So....have your say , vote below , it's just to satisfy curiosity & possibly help in planning or suggesting future meets :)

randomwindows and Cobra like this.
  2. posiview

posiview

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nice one. Looking forwards to the results and comments.

I really enjoy meet ups. Met some great folk and been to some great places, and eat some great food :)

Cheers.

Cobra likes this.
  3. ChrisHeathcote

ChrisHeathcote

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was going to come along,but we were on holiday in Tenby until Saturday, otherwise I would have been there. I do enjoy meeting folk from here

4. Paul Cronin

Paul Cronin

Name:
    paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Only one that applies to me above is the shy one :jawdrop::exit:...

Its a shame really because I'd like to do a few on the Suffolk and Norfolk :police: coast or down South but don't know enough areas to say lets go and chase the light for a couple of days. If anyone is though then I would be up for it.

5. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Chris.....Holidays do kinda trump photo meets ;) There'll doubtless be more meets coming up so keep an eye out & hopefully we'll see you on the next one (y)

Hi ya Paul ......:LOL: Norfolk coast is on the list to be done at some point . @Dark Knight is based in that neck of the woods so is probably a good bet for insider info on where to go :)

6. foggy4ever

foggy4ever

Name:
    Storm Trooper
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My shift work if it's weekday, family commitments on weekends, location, can all make it difficult to commit. I always keep an eye out though.

7. MrDrizz

MrDrizz

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    For me it's just finding the time and sometimes the meet is too far away to try and make it. Glencoe is going to be my first meet, hopefully not last.
    To add, I don't always check the meeting forum so may actually miss out.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Cynthia

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Work !
    Only guaranteed day off is Sunday and most meets are held on Saturdays, which I get 1 in 6 off.

9. Phil-D

Phil-D

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Someone's voted shy!! :whistle: :D

I see 2 people have voted they're not interested in meeting other photographers, that's fair enough but I'd be interested to know their reasons :)

For me, its the meeting and chatting to other like minded people with the same interests, that appeals (y)

Paiste Phil, Cobra and Paul Cronin like this.
  10. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Down here in the deepest darkest south west everyone seems to do their own thing. I'd love to meet up with others as there's a lot of the area I don't know very well, if at all, but for the same reason there's no way I'm going to try to organise anything. Oh, I'm shy as well but not when I'm with others sharing a common interest.

11. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Only thing that really stops me is most meets are weekends. I retired early, but my wife still works and tend to spend weekends together, more midweek meets please.

12. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Definitely seems to be a north/south divide in any meets suggested on TP, we did do one on the Somerset Levels a year or so ago ... but if I remember correctly we lost someone in the marshes! :eek: :D :exit:

13. SteveSc

SteveSc

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Main reason for me is work/family commitments. Most my photos are taken either at home or early morning/late evening when kids are in bed, I don't often take a whole day/weekend to get out and take photos.

14. welshwizard645

welshwizard645

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Life gets in the way, 2 sets of parents some distance away. I am quite shy, bit introverted and sometimes prefer to get on and do my own thing.

15. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I'm even deeper and darker South West! While I'd love to get up to the Lakes and Glencoe, I'd like to have Mrs Nod with me on the basis that if something's worth photographing, it's worth looking at too! Unfortunately, having her own Yoga studio means that we usually have to be around at weekends to open up/lock up/tidy up for workshops on at least one of the days so getting away for a whole weekend is a little difficult. We have done an Iceland TP trip and a couple of local meets and I managed to get up to the first Whipsnade Mega Meet a few years ago but forking out for a couple of nights in a B&B/pub/hotel for a day's shooting makes it an expensive day out!

16. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That would have been me then................:)
    Or did you deliberately forget to tell me you were going to the pub? :beer:

17. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm like you in that if I was going to go to another part of the country I'd want my partner there, and if we were going to do that we'd go on our own. He happily puts up with one photographer but I think a whole pack of them might be a bit much for him! I was thinking something more local.

18. Longimanus

Longimanus

Name:
    Lee
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My problem is not really any of the above, its more about time, I have a family with young children and dont feel I can be away all the time. I tend to be out early for Saturday sunrises as this is a good time for the family as I am usually back by the time we are going to do anything.

I then save up my brownie points to use them against holidays without the family, e.g. dive holiday, workshops etc

If there is ever a meet down South I would look at trying to join, you are all welcome down here :)

19. Phil-D

Phil-D

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Becareful what you wish for, Dorset has been mentioned! :p

Longimanus likes this.
  20. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    IIRC we did try to find you because we had decided it was your round! Again IIRC, we tried to call you but mobile signal was AWOL. Then, the first pub we tried was closed!

Let me know when you've organised something! Day trips are much easier than weekends away - have wheels, happy to use them.

Longimanus and Jannyfox like this.
  21. springer

springer

Name:
    liz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Mostly its dates thatve prevented me so far,, also would only probabky do northern -ish meets too as more my area, would've loved to join the glencoe meet in march but going the week after with partner so can't really afford it twice ,( or get pass out for it ). but do check the meets section quite often as would like to try and join a meet, they always sound good fun when you read the threads afterwards .

22. Phil-D

Phil-D

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @springer

Hopefully we still have a Brimham Rocks meet to get in during the next few months Liz,your location says North Yorks so not too far. Keep an eye out for a thread :)

springer likes this.
  23. springer

springer

Name:
    liz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @Phil-D hi,thankss I will do that.

Phil-D likes this.
  24. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm shy too*, anyone I've ever met will tell you that.
    But the first meet I ever attended was one I organised, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make the effort :)

"Distance "maybe" an issue for me, at times, as I drive 100's miles a day during the course of my work, and I'm not always up for driving a long distance, at week-ends.
    But of course, as above, (Anyone) if distance is a problem, organise a local one, its dead easy :)

*I may have lied :D

25. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    FTFY

Gremlin and Cobra like this.
  26. ChrisH

ChrisH

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been to quite a few meets and in my opinion the biggest stumbling block has bee dates. It's such an awkward thing in this day and age to work round each other but when it happens meet ups are great.

27. Gremlin

Gremlin Cynthia

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't drive the distance you do but I am behind the wheel for 5 to 7hours a day, depending on if I go out on afternoon collections.
    Strange though it may seem I love doing long distance stuff after all the the stop/start/reversing etc. it's a pleasure to just drive normally for a while,

28. ChrisH

ChrisH

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    In the past I've always offered my spare seats to those that don't want or can't drive. I too drive 100's of miles a day but it always feels different to me when it's for my pleasure not for work :D

Gremlin likes this.
  29. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I can understand that, I was the same when I was working very locally, but now the nearest client is just over 100 miles away, it kinda gets a bit like a busman's holiday :(

30. Gremlin

Gremlin Cynthia

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yeah I can understand that too, but driving my car is a geat improvement over the time in a noisy diesel (y)
    Suppose I just enjoy driving :D

31. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Interesting thoughts & comments so far people (y)

The northern folk do seem a little more active in the meets section & I appreciate time & venues are not always going to be good for everyone .

As the group of us that met through this forum get out at least once a month I was starting to think we were the odd ones !

Phil-D and paul100 like this.
  32. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well, we southerners have other things to do, Cinema, TV internet and all sorts of other goodies, maybe it'll get up there before too long (y)

Having met a few on Saturday, I concur :p

Oh sorry was that a rhetorical statement? :D

33. MadWoman

MadWoman

Name:
    Sue
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My problem is that my husband works away during the week, so the weekends are the only time I see him and I can't / don't want to abandon him for the day. During the week it is just me and Pip the dog, so I can only go to dog friendly venues (which rules out the National Memorial Arboretum - their dog policies are awful and I was almost in tears due to them when I was there with Pip whilst my OH was on duty there).

So much as I would like to go to the odd meet up, it is very awkward.

34. OldCarlos

OldCarlos

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    W/ends, evenings & school holidays is when I have the least free time.
    Mon - Fri during the day tends to be when I could get out a bit, but most folk are at work.

35. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Work is for other people.....................:)

Nod and Phil-D like this.
  36. King of Groove

King of Groove

Name:
    King
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    When I first joined TP there were a lot of London meets and I use to attend as many as I could. Now there are very few.

Due to personal reasons (eg caring for my Mum who passed away last year) meant I had to drop out totally.

The biggest problem now is I work shifts. Well someone has to drive the buses!!

37. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Me too, best of times with the kids in captivity and others at work, just need to find something for the oap's now to keep them off the streets.

OldCarlos likes this.
  38. cowboy

cowboy Guy Fawkes

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Most of the meets seem to be landscape type stuff which doesn't interest me at all.
    I like meeting other photographers and chatting to folks.

I do attend meets with other photographers, usually events or people photography ( not organised by tp though).

blondie606 likes this.
  39. AgentG

AgentG

Name:
    Ryan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Not many are Looney enough to join the Loonies on meets in Wales

40. mrgubby

mrgubby

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Get a job with the Southern Rail, you'll have a lot more time :)

Di Stone and OldCarlos like this.