?

What stops you attending photo meets arranged on TP ?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2017.
  1. Location / Venue

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Date

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. Shy

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Don't think I'm a good enough photographer

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Not interested in meeting other photographers

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Costs

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. canonrebel

canonrebel

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A few years back there used to be a lot of meets arranged in the north west, but I have not seen any recent posts by the members who organized any of them

2. ChrisH

ChrisH

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was one of them but it's been a funny few years the past two, just getting back into the swing thinking of locations.

3. mickledore

mickledore

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I tried to organise a few but got totally peed off with the constant lies excuses that were made at the last minute. My daughter has to go to swimming class, my son needs to go to footy training, the wife wants to go shopping, it's the mother in law's birthday. All of which should have been known when they said they would turn up. But they simply changed their minds or were under the thumb and didn't have the cojones to say so.
    The last straw was a meet at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum. Initially some two dozen said they were coming. Even three days before the event 9 were still definitely turning up and asking for directions and details. How many turned up? Myself and @ChrisH. And the others? No excuses or apologies, just total silence. I vowed never again. Now when I go out I go with a few guys on here that I know will turn up and fix it all up by PM.
    Saves a lot of effort and angst.

4. posiview

posiview

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    22 votes for Location/Venue. Organising a meet isn't hard.

If it's Location/Venue why don't folk organise a meet in a Location/Venue that interests them??

I've arranged plenty of meets and turnout is usually positive.

Cheers.

5. canonrebel

canonrebel

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    In the past I attended meets at Chester Zoo, Martin Mere, Blackpool Zoo, and there were around 20 members at each meet, unfortunately a lot of people who attended these meets dont appear to post on here anymore

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Cynthia

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Things do happen at the last minute, but a quick post on the relevant thread would be polite.
    Got to say, what annoys me more is people posting to say they can't make it, what's the point ?
    If you know you can't make a meet when it's put up, why make a point of saying so, is it in the hope that the date may be changed
    to suit you ?

Cobra likes this.
  7. Mark twiglet

Mark twiglet

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    my biggest thing is family commitments..... my family down south on the coast (Chichester) and me now living in Nottingham...... her family up here...... I don't know local locations.......although I will travel....... Lake District, Isle of Skye, Glencoe
    so what im saying is ill go anywhere for a shot really

8. K J B

K J B

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    i would be really keen on attending a meet, probably local to the northeast to begin with and eventually furthering my field.

the one that stood out for me was "i dont know enough" which would be my biggest fear for not attending

9. Alan Clogwyn

Alan Clogwyn

Name:
    Richard Alan Jones
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We usually get a good turnout at North Wales meets (which we are due another by the way!) But the larger a potential group gets the harder it is to pin down a date, time and location that suits everybody. For example most people would want it at a weekend, which is no good for me as I work weekends.

10. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've organised a few meets, been on a few out of area meets, I've yet to come across anyone that bites :D
    (The Norfolk ones are a bit iffy though :p)

People of all skill levels attend meets, and if you need help in anyway, people are more than happy to advise, show how to, whatever. :)

K J B likes this.
  11. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi ya.....you are not alone with those thoughts.
    1st meet I went to I didn't get the camera out on the 1st day as too scared to show myself up with how little I knew.....& no, I'm not kidding ! & before anyone else says it......I still don't know huge amounts
    But ,as I got talking to the rest of the group I discovered that a) they were really friendly & helpful & b) they were winging it as well a lot of the time
    So I got stuck in the next day and haven't looked back since.....I've met some fabulous people on the meets ( including @Cobra ),made some very good friends , learnt shed loads & have been to some stunning places for photography
    So.....don't let the fear hold you back, join in on a meet or post up for some company if there's somewhere local to you that you fancy visiting.

Could be a huge lot of fun.....

K J B and Cobra like this.
  12. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Is that what is known as, a back handed compliment Lynne ? :p

13. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks to all who've posted in this thread , it really was my curiosity that prompted the question.
    I fully understand family commitments & work get in the way for some folk(y)

For those that state Location as the issue there seems to be an option.....create your own meet at a location you want to visit - it may be somewhere others haven't considered so you might get more interest than expected :)

14. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You know I love you really :jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

15. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    :D you've made my day :D

16. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Absolutely (y)
    That's exactly how the "Nutters meet" started, and has been running for some years now :)

blondie606 likes this.
  17. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    & for those few who chose " not interested in meeting other photographers "......well, each to their own .

For me .. ... I love the banter, the continual chatting about all things photo related & any other subject that comes up......total nonsense a lot of the time :D

For those that stated Shy....see my post #51.......I'm painfully shy until I get to know folk ( & once I know them they normally wish I was still shy !) so to go to that 1st meet was a massive step for me, well outside my comfort zone by a million miles !
    So if you're shy then take the leap.....you'll generally have a ball (y)

viv1969 and Cobra like this.
  18. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    thats probably just as well really.......bring it on....9 days & counting :D

19. blondie606

blondie606

Name:
    Lynne
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I keep an eye on the Wales meets......can't wait to get back to Llyn Padarn & keep looking for other similar places. I love lakes & mountains ( not so keen on climbing mountains though :eek: )

20. Mark twiglet

Mark twiglet

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ill be up for more wales trips.....

Smiffster likes this.
  21. Mark twiglet

Mark twiglet

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Bring it on

22. K J B

K J B

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    just out of curiosity, how do the meets most commonly take place? is it one day,a weekend ? hotels camping just trying to get a feel, do many take place in Northumberland? i know one or two "less publicised" locations i.e waterfalls, beaten tracks, poi's etc + kielder observatory is quite spectactular on a clear night and recent good auroras as i spend quite abit of time out with the family and helping land owners.

23. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Mostly they are 1 day, some are longer, have a look and you should get the idea :)
    https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/meeting-place.45/

You could always post your own meet in the above thread, and see if anyone is interested?

blakester likes this.
  24. K J B

K J B

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the heads up,

25. blakester

blakester Shine On Harvest Moon

Name:
    Iain
    Edit My Images:
    No

I will quote the boy @posiview Andy before he does Kris and say "build it and they will come" :D

As Chris said above, if you fancy having a meet start a thread on it and it will gather peoples interest I'm sure.

K J B and Cobra like this.
  26. posiview

posiview

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yup, it really is that simple.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    K J B, blakester and Cobra like this.
  27. kendo1

kendo1

Name:
    Ken
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just mentioned this to my wife and she replied something about a dog free weekend...
    I think she needs a hearing aid.

Being slightly more North than what most people on here describe as North, I find that the distances to the meets can be a bit far.
    I'll have to look for this Glencoe meet.

28. posiview

posiview

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Linky plenty of room, only 18 going :)

29. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Currently trying to get a meet/boat charter trip arranged to sail out to the WW2 forts off the S E coast. Imposing structures that not many people get to photograph close up, will eventually just rust into oblivion.

Any way I digress, looks like it will be very hard to get agreement on days and dates, everybody has different commitments.

Hoping it will go ahead for the summer, going to be a pay up front thing which will root out any time wasters.

Just out of interest here is the link to the proposed trip thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/thames-estuary-sea-forts-prices-added.646920/

30. marcinshield

marcinshield

Name:
    marcin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hello,
    Im absolutely new to the forum, so welcome everyone :) !
    Following the subject of meet ups, I was wondering if there are any people living around in Bedfordshire, who'd like to meet up for a photo day out ?
    many thanks for your time and all/if any answers :)
    Marcin

Dark Knight likes this.
  31. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Welcome to the forums Marcin, there are lots of people in the Herts Beds & Bucks area.
    You would probably be better off starting your own thread here ..
    https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/meeting-place.45/

32. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Same for me

33. hashcake

hashcake

Name:
    Darran, Daz or ****
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been to some great meets from the past and met some really nice people.
    I've recently got back into photography but seems like the old crowd have moved on.

34. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Ditto (y)

Most of them have yes, unfortunately..

hashcake likes this.
  35. ChrisH

ChrisH

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Theres still a few of us in the Northwest that meet up. The biggest problem as the pole shows is timing, and beginners being shy about chirping up.

I'm more than happy to get something going again if people say from the Midlands upwards to the lakes want to suggest something.

There must be loads of places of interest that worthy of a few Togs paying a visit.

The " newbies shouldn't feel awkward " remember we don't know you and your skills and passing what we know on is sometime very rewarding.

36. hashcake

hashcake

Name:
    Darran, Daz or ****
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I totally agree with you, other members were more than happy to help and explain things to me when I first got into photography.
    That reason alone is why this forum has been so good.

37. hashcake

hashcake

Name:
    Darran, Daz or ****
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is Marc still a moderator?

38. Cobra

Cobra W Staff Member

Name:
    Phitt, Hissy Phitt
    Edit My Images: