POLL - Subtle Differences - A Tiny Flower Processed 4 Different Ways - Which Do You Prefer?

Which edit do you prefer?

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
Following a brief conversation with @Graham yesterday where we compared processing preferences, I thought it would be interesting to see people's take on subtle differences in processing styles and methods. This won't be an exact science as everyone's monitors will show them something different but maybe it will give some half-useful results..? Below are 4 images, all processed slightly differently. One is my usual style of "extract as much detail as possible"; 2 are subtly different and one is very different but which is your favourite edit (and if you are of the mind to answer: why?).

tiny-pink.png

tiny-pink-viv.png

tiny-pink-pop.png

tiny-pink-soft.png

They all look the same to me on here Dunc

#1 and #4 have slightly darker backgrounds

5K 27" Apple

Last edited:
They all look the same to me on here Dunc

#1 and #4 have slightly darker backgrounds

5K 27" Apple

I'm on the same screen, Bill. They're all a tad different. One has about 27 adjustments more than the others. 2 are polar opposites but all are similar. To give you a pointer: 3 & 4 are the opposites, edited completely differently.

There seems to bit a bit of a difference in the softness of the background, been playing around with the Orton effect?

They are all pretty damn similar though, especially on my Laptop screen.

There seems to bit a bit of a difference in the softness of the background, been playing around with the Orton effect?

They are all pretty damn similar though, especially on my Laptop screen.

Ned, kind of. One image is how I'd normally process it without any plugins. 3 images have been processed plus effects added with Topaz plugins.

Well, I think I prefer #1.

The background looks a bit edgy on 2 and 3 and it looks a little artificially smoothed in 4 although I wouldn't necessarily know that if I couldn't see the others. 4 Looks a bit more saturated too, a touch too much.

edit; ha ha, I see that makes it 1 vote for each :LOL:

Last edited:
Shouldn't the poll title be ' do you think WingTsun is a little OCD when it comes to PP'hehe

I would vote if I could compare them all side by side.
Having to scroll between them, with each image filling the screen there is not enough of a difference between them to make a judgement.
They are all OK, IMHO.
The poll needs another option - "Can't tell"
Sorry, that's not very helpful.

As Gary suggested, i think you need a "Can't Tell" option too, they all look identical to me

Ok @WingTsun I done it, hope your happy now lol
Looking at the pics, yes they all do seem the same but i`m looking at the pink flower against the green leaf, seems there is a black line that goes around the pink flower in all but less in No 1 although it is present.
Agreed, they all look very similar.
There you go. :)

I would vote if I could compare them all side by side.
Having to scroll between them, with each image filling the screen there is not enough of a difference between them to make a judgement.
They are all OK, IMHO.
The poll needs another option - "Can't tell"
Sorry, that's not very helpful.

LOL! No worries, Gary. You're right, it is tough to see when scrolling. Problem is, if I did a composite of all 4 the detail wouldn't be enough to see, either. Oh well. :D

Ok @WingTsun I done it, hope your happy now lol
Looking at the pics, yes they all do seem the same but i`m looking at the pink flower against the green leaf, seems there is a black line that goes around the pink flower in all but less in No 1 although it is present.
Agreed, they all look very similar.
There you go. :)

Thanks mate. Could be a little CA on the flower you're talking about? It was shot at f/22 and the Laowo can exhibit some CA at that end.

Back