Polo Mints

That's great, I love it, is it done in Photoshop or modified polo's?

That's great, I love it, is it done in Photoshop or modified polo's?
Hi alan Thanks, No not done in photoshop, I broke one polo in half then damped the ends put it through the hole and pressed it back together till it stuck (y)

That's mint (y) Love the reflection.

Thanks Dawn, its taken on a 12" Dia, black plate I got from my local pound shop (y)

That's really good, i suspect you cut out a slot ?
Thanks Graham I did try cutting a slot in it but it just kept breaking the polo so I did as above in my reply to Alan (y)

T'is good - would suit an advert for Polo Mints. Makes me feel like going to the local shop for a tube.

Plastics give great reflections, don't they? LOve the reflection but I think the light is a bit all-encompassing. That said, I wouldn't know where to start with rim lighting polos... :)

Love the shot,the lighting is spot on.The only thing I would say from a marketing point of view, is its not normal for the Polos to be linked like that, so i dont know how they would view it. I wonder if you could do something similar but set up the 2 polos to get a heart reflection or something like that?

Plastics give great reflections, don't they? LOve the reflection but I think the light is a bit all-encompassing. That said, I wouldn't know where to start with rim lighting polos... :)

Thanks Its a china plate that I used, havent done much rim lighting shot Pat, see below for lighting

Love the shot,the lighting is spot on.The only thing I would say from a marketing point of view, is its not normal for the Polos to be linked like that, so i dont know how they would view it. I wonder if you could do something similar but set up the 2 polos to get a heart reflection or something like that?

Cheers Tom, the lighting is natural light from the window, yeah know what you mean about the marketing, think they always look for new twists though, love the heart shadow, idea a twist on the wedding ring shot,

Wedding Ring Shadow Love Is by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave

Last edited:
You can just see the break so may be worth a little cloning to try and get rid of it. Like the reflections though.

Like both, I want a polo now.

I'm not crazy about the background on the ring pic, nice that you have love and loyal though.

You can just see the break so may be worth a little cloning to try and get rid of it. Like the reflections though.

Ah yeah missed that, thanks (y)

Like both, I want a polo now.

I'm not crazy about the background on the ring pic, nice that you have love and loyal though.

thanks, seem to remember the next word down didnt fit so opted for that, suppose it would be different for each dictionary, thats a Victorian dictionary, from my wifes great gran passed down, Ill have another look (y)

Think I'll dod a re shoot today, try get it better, I think the rough bits of wrapper are letting it down, should have used scissors rather than ripping it, anyone else any thoughts

Thanks Its a china plate that I used, havent done much rim lighting shot Pat, see below for lighting

Cheers Tom, the lighting is natural light from the window, yeah know what you mean about the marketing, think they always look for new twists though, love the heart shadow, idea a twist on the wedding ring shot,

Wedding Ring Shadow Love Is by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave

Oooo I like this shot! how do I do that in PS?

Thanks Ceri (y)

under exposed by 2 stops,For the letters. I did try a bit of burn and dodge in PP didnt quite get it right so went with this version.

Anyway think I need to do a re shoot to improve it, as Im not that happy with it, Looking at it now, dont like the ragged edges on the wrappers, should have used scissors, to cut it straight I think, dunno be interested to hear what members think,

Ripped ?

or

Cut ?

and turn the mint over in the tube, so Polo word is visible as well

Also the light is just from natural window light, no other
lighting

Not happy with the graining on the blue guess that came from the under exposing as, shot -1 didnt show much and 0 shots showed no graining, any ideas

thanks again for all your inputs

Last edited:
Hi Dave

I love the concept though I think that it might look better with an unopened pack of polo's as opposed to an open pack, especially from an advertising image point of view.

The shot has been well executed and the lighting is spot on, as someone said earlier you can just see the break in the mint but a simple bit of cloning/healing will sort that in PP. Love the reflection too.

Well done, 10/10 for concept and originality :)

Back