Critique Pondering Cat

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
This morning I was looking out through my kitchen window over the field next to my house, which is currently being built on, but I won’t get bogged down with that, when one of the local ‘wild’ cats jumped up onto the fence and just mooched up and down a bit. He stopped for a few moments so I grabbed my camera which still had my 50mm on it so rather than miss a chance to grab him I just left it on and shot through the window.

Not the cleanest of shots as I think the window was possibly interfering with the focussing but I kind of like the images, I’ve only had a quick edit using Lightroom mobile on my iPad but would like some thoughts from people who know a lot more about photography than I do!

View: https://flic.kr/p/2k3YNZy

View: https://flic.kr/p/2k3Y8LY

Be better without the cat IMHO & a slight crop

8P2LVzc.jpg

Les :)

I like both shots as they are. Particularly like the second shot. It's like you're looking at the building work whilst the cat is doing a Robert DeNiro "Are you looking at me?"

Clicking through to Flickr, I think they'd both stand up to an A4 print, and look absolutely fine on the internet.

Cat is integral IMO.

I like both shots a lot. I would be tempted to try cropping them though.
Thanks very much, I do seem to have trouble with knowing if I should and how much to crop, I just have it stuck in my head that cropping is bad.

Be better without the cat IMHO & a slight crop
Thanks Les, I do like the cat, feels like it gives the photo an actual subject. I usually do shots like these with just the colour and ‘atmosphere’ I think that more often than not after a second look I feel that the shot would look better with something that stands out to focus on, but your edit seems to make sense too Tbf.

I like both shots as they are. Particularly like the second shot. It's like you're looking at the building work whilst the cat is doing a Robert DeNiro "Are you looking at me?"

Clicking through to Flickr, I think they'd both stand up to an A4 print, and look absolutely fine on the internet.

Cat is integral IMO.
Really appreciate your thoughts on this, I’d not really even thought about getting these printed, always seems like a pricey game to get into, almost as bad as photography itself!:LOL:

Thanks Les, I do like the cat, feels like it gives the photo an actual subject. I usually do shots like these with just the colour and ‘atmosphere’ I think that more often than not after a second look I feel that the shot would look better with something that stands out to focus on, but your edit seems to make sense too Tbf.

Hi Pete. If I wanted to Photograph a Cat( which I seldom do, it would,.be a close up , but that's the Wildlife Photographer in me :)

Like this Photoshop edit :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

nJxpcoL.jpg

Back