Poppy Fields

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Had a drive to a localish poppy field yesterday as the light was nice around 7ish. Didnt take many so was abit worried it might have been a wasted trip but found two that im pleased with.

Poppy Fields 1 by ben allen94, on Flickr

Poppy Fields 2 by ben allen94, on Flickr

RIP anyone who lost thier lives during the D-Day landings and the rest of the war.

Thanks for looking (y)

Disappointing and crazy processing!

Disappointing? what are you disappointed about?

Viewing on my phone they look really nice. I like them both but i do like the tighter crop on number 2.

Thanks, i try to crop as little as possible so I get my composition right through the lens. I also liked the way the 3 poppies filled the bottom of the frame and then the single one thats slightly blurred nearer the top. (y)

Poppy fields - I was expecting really nice pics - these disappointed! I think mainly because of the processing - but they are also the same shot!

Nice shots - think the second one is the one for me.

My only nitpic on the first shot is that the dof isn't shallower (i.e. more bokeh) :)

Whereabouts were these Ben if you don't mind me asking? :)

Cheers,

Matt

Poppy fields - I was expecting really nice pics - these disappointed! I think mainly because of the processing - but they are also the same shot!

Oh okay, got any suggestions of things to try?

Nice shots - think the second one is the one for me.

My only nitpic on the first shot is that the dof isn't shallower (i.e. more bokeh) :)

Whereabouts were these Ben if you don't mind me asking? :)

Cheers,

Matt

It is on the A46 just north of Dunkirk, Badminton, South Gloucestershire (y) Yer it could of been, always next time to try it :LOL: Thanks anyway(y)

Try one without fancy processing.

Cheers Ben - may toddle over there tonight :)

Well that comment is as but as much use as a handbrake on a Canoe for the OP. If you are going to take the time to press the buttons on your keyboard, how about some constructive C&C ;) And imho your second piece of advice is of even less use.

And you haven't given him any advice at all!!!

Two good attempts Ben, I spotted a couple of Poppy fields local to me but at the moment there are not enough of them. The first one looks a little flat as far as saturation and contrast is concerned, perhaps a lower and wider point of view might be beneficial to show them off as well :shrug: Another thing to consider is stitching them in a panorama type shot.

u8myufo said:
Two good attempts Ben, I spotted a couple of Poppy fields local to me but at the moment there are not enough of them. The first one looks a little flat as far as saturation and contrast is concerned, perhaps a lower and wider point of view might be beneficial to show them off as well :shrug: Another thing to consider is stitching them in a panorama type shot.

Oh okay, I lowered the saturation and didnt play around much with the contrast? Maybe ill try a few more later with some contrast in :) Thanks!

Well I went to our local fields last w/end (see Mad Womens pic same place ) took a few but wasnt sure on how I should have done the composition. So had a go at this.

001-20110604 by Yeksel, on Flickr

What do you think?

Well I went to our local fields last w/end (see Mad Womens pic same place ) took a few but wasnt sure on how I should have done the composition. So had a go at this.

001-20110604 by Yeksel, on Flickr

What do you think?

I really like that one, I wish my fields looked liked that instead of a red blur. I was trying to get the size of the field in but it didnt really work.

we drove the back way from Chippenham to Bath, and we saw loads of poppies on A46 between Pensylvania and j18 of the A4.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Im glad and pleased you like it as I wasnt sure of best way to take the shot . Everyone there seemed to be taking pics of the whole field so I decided to do something different.
If weather & light ok at w/end think I might pay another visit and try some more close ups.
So more next week perhaps.
Thanks everyone

There a little like Marmite, love them or hate them?

They are processed quite nicely in an artistic sort of way and different from the usual poppy look BUT! the usual poppy look is sooooo nice so its a hard call.

Going back to the 2 images for me I prefer the 2nd as for me the opening shot has a distracting bottom to the frame. It would be nice to see an image thats inbetween the 2 - cropped but not so tight ;)

I dont dislike the processing as much as others clearly do, I think its something different to the normal 'poppy' shot. It doesn't make me go, "Wow" but I dont dislike it.

Hi Ben. Photography can be really subjective - you can't please all the people all the time. It's great that you're getting out and taking photos. It's also good that you're experimenting with different processing techniques. That's really the only way to find out what works and what doesn't.
Personally I like your first shot because it's different to what is usually done. My only criticism is that the horizon is sloping down to the left when it should be straight.
Good effort though fella :clap:

Back