Porpoise??

Edit My Images
Yes
Posted more for interest and ID confirmation, spotted off Bempton cliffs, Saturday. Someone thought it was a Minke Whale but did say they weren't sure.

Looking at images on Google I'd say Porpoise.

Was hard to get a shot, having to guess where it may surface next but I was fortunate to get lucky just the once and rattle a couple of shots off, heavy crop, cheers

View attachment 102242

I would agree with Porpoise ~ looked it up and both the Dolphin and the Minke have more hooked shape dorsal fins.

Edit ~ the only Porpoise recorded in UK waters if the Common or Harbour Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena). Well spotted :)

Last edited:
Thanks BB, I've spent alot of time over on the East coast over the years, its the first time I've seen one.

There was also a Black-browed Albatross spotted too. Two reported sightings and a record shot confirming, reports say its shown again today, now that would have been nice :)

Always tricky to determine them. Also scale wold affect judgement. Manke (he he) whale is a lot larger than porpoise.........

I see them at sea in boat, and am always (mostly) unsure. Dolphins are a bit easier as they rush around the boat............

Either way well caught........

Back