Port Erin Sunset.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Two from a short trip to the Isle of Man, a few weeks ago.
I had a foot problem at the time (still do) and was having difficulty in walking, so i only took my Fuji X100s no tripod so both are hand held.
A fair amount of work in LR to try and bring out the best i could, maybe i have over-cooked things?
Any comments and advice welcome, thanks for having a look.

Port Erin Sunset. by Mike Mayo, on Flickr

Two from a short trip to the Isle of Man, a few weeks ago.
I had a foot problem at the time (still do) and was having difficulty in walking, so i only took my Fuji X100s no tripod so both are hand held.
A fair amount of work in LR to try and bring out the best i could, maybe i have over-cooked things?
Any comments and advice welcome, thanks for having a look.

you can see right away the effect of no 2 over no 1
landscapes usually are readable...like the pages in a book...so if its horizontally formatted the eye feels more comfortable in its progress over the image composition
vertical works of course but i think here for me...its horizontal

you got all in both but in differing perspectives but in differing relationships...foreground and background interest
if you had of...in no 2 put the sandcastles in the left lower third our eyes would have seen them first then uplifted to the structure on its way to the right hand side of the shot...moving diagonally upwards...that is a positive diagonal in composition
the actual sun isnt so important as its effect...but its smallish so doesnt dominate
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof for the feedback, I can see exactly what you mean, regarding composition, why didn't i see that at the time?
I will try and log that in the grey stuff for next time (if I remember)
Cheers Mike

@mrtoad 's point about composition in the second is good, it would also have caused you to frame up the best bit of the sky.

The first shot is really nice, I think the trick is to find a comp you are happy with and keep shooting through the lighting event, I bet just a few minutes later would have been amazing and a lot easier exposure to handle.

Back