B&W Portland Bill Lighthouse

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Portland Bill on a particularly stormy December day, spent a lot of time trying to keep my filters clean from the constant spray.
Got a good soaking not long after taking this image.
Processed in Silver Efex 2.
Cheers.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III|24-105mm L|Lee Grad Filters|Haida Pro 2 Slim Ten Stop Filter

Portland Bill
by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

. Nice conversion, Nice smoky seas, decent tones and you can you spent care on the image. I would say that it's cropped slightly tightly on the right - the furthest building is just in the image. The only other thing I would say is that I am led away from the light house out to the horizon due the the composition and the placing if the rocks which act as a lead in line. listen I'm no expert and doubt very much i would be able to produce anything close but that's just the way I see it.

I like this a lot the long exposure has given some nice movement in the sky and smoothed he sea out but not made it totally smooth and mist like which to me is a positive as I think that would have killed the image a little the conversion to B&W works with the effect of the long exposure to create a image that is really quite stormy looking, the exposure time and focus look great but I would be tempted to just up the clarity just a touch, too far would be unrealistic but I think about 5-10% would just give it that little bit more pop especially on the cliffs and the sky..

Matt

I like that a lot, my kind of image, works for me pretty much as it is, there's nothing there I would alter.

Now thats one great photograph.
I love Portland Bill, and you've captured the scene perfectly.

. Nice conversion, Nice smoky seas, decent tones and you can you spent care on the image. I would say that it's cropped slightly tightly on the right - the furthest building is just in the image. The only other thing I would say is that I am led away from the light house out to the horizon due the the composition and the placing if the rocks which act as a lead in line. listen I'm no expert and doubt very much i would be able to produce anything close but that's just the way I see it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Chris. The original is actually wider to the right, I cropped it in to bring more focus to the buildings and lighthouse. The composition I wanted wasn't possible, as the position I'd needed to stand was continuously being battered by strong waves covering the rocks with water, so had to make do with standing here this time around.

I like this a lot the long exposure has given some nice movement in the sky and smoothed he sea out but not made it totally smooth and mist like which to me is a positive as I think that would have killed the image a little the conversion to B&W works with the effect of the long exposure to create a image that is really quite stormy looking, the exposure time and focus look great but I would be tempted to just up the clarity just a touch, too far would be unrealistic but I think about 5-10% would just give it that little bit more pop especially on the cliffs and the sky..

Matt

Cheers Matt (y) The sea was far from smooth this day, and I wanted to keep it that way in my long exposure. I'll have a play with the clarity and see what I can up with.

I like that a lot, my kind of image, works for me pretty much as it is, there's nothing there I would alter.

Thanks Pete :)

Now thats one great photograph.
I love Portland Bill, and you've captured the scene perfectly.

Cheers Paul! It's a lovely lighthouse, somewhere I'd definitely shoot again.

Back