Portobello Sunrise

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Another early morning trip for me this time down to the Portobello Beech in Edinburgh. This time my son came down for the ride. I don't think I have done the scene justice on this occasion as the sky was spectacular at some points.

IMG_0765_zpsovhxsob9.jpg

IMG_0750_zpswsyslji5.jpg

IMG_0934_zpsxxt5smmt.jpg

IMG_0951_zpsxw2uq33o.jpg

Thanks Neil. That's the one I like best too. I was a wee bit jealous of a couple of other photographers who came down with loads of Lee Filters. I would love to treat myself but to be honest it is easy enough to just use two separate exposures and create my own grad in post. It must be nice though to see the complete image on the back of the camera rather than waiting to get home.

Groovy shootings… love the silkiness in #1

Like No 1 and like the sky in4

No idea where you found the sky in 4, I was down at North Berwick this morning and the sky in 2 was about as nice as I'd seen down there

You would think 15 miles down the coast wouldn't make too much of a difference. The sky was pretty bring until about 30 mins after sunrise. This one was taken at 8.21 according to the exif and that seems about right. There was a good 15 minutes of great life when the same was wholly above the horizon and mostly hidden behind the scattered clouds.

the last one doesnt really rely on the fuzzy water and so makes one concentrate on the sky
but on relook i think no 3 does benefit from some natural wave forms

is the power station still there/

Last edited:
I'm with Ancient Mariner, 1 and 4. Did you shoot with NDs too or have you use separate exposures? If the latter, what were the exposures for no4 pls?

Thanks all

The power station is mostly gone with the chimneys going down last month and just one big hall remaining. 1, 2 are two separate exposures but I think the last two are single shots. Last one had a 10 stop screw in filter used and the exposure was 30 seconds. I did take a two minute exposure for the shadows for the last one but preferred the darker foregound to concentrate the eye on the sky. The first two were just long exposures due to little available light no filters used.

Porty is very similar now to when I grew up around the area in the early 80s. I still love going back there and it really is a bonus to have a beech in the city.

Back