Critique Portrait of an artist

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
For the last year I've been documenting a collective of artists based in Manchester. It started through a friend who makes yurts...he shares a floor in one of the oldest surviving (unmodified) mills in Manchester with a talented group of artists working in stained glass, wickerwork, furniture and, of course, yurts. For some forgotten reason, on my first visit I decided to shoot everything in the mill using adapted legacy lesnses on my Sony A7s and A7Rii, handheld and using available light....I'm still doing so after 5 visits. Unfortunately, they have been given notice, as the mill is being redeveloped as "luxury aprtments". This has given me added impetus to document the mill and it's artists.

One of the artists, Patrick Macaulay, makes works using a combination of wood, concrete, paint, comics and typography. He is 73 years old and just does it mostly for fun, though he does some commissioned work and has pieces available for sale on his website. His studio is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. I've done a few portraits of him, but this is the one I like most, as it sort of incorporates elements of his work in typography. An environmental portrait, I guess. The image is a blend of two exposures, one focused on his reflection in the mirror (just one of a multitude of objects he has collected over the years), and the other on the mirror itself. I like how it turned out, but any critique is welcome.

Tempus (f*** it)..... by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea but I don't think quite pulls it off. The mirror is slightly out of focus and I'm not sure about the yellow cast. I like the idea and the composition.

Back