Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Shot this on 35mm pound land film... and without pointing out the obvious (its not shot in portrait) what do people think of this portrait of a man on the High Street?img lon070.jpg

This would be better placed in the people and portraits as opposed to here in talk people Jamie.
Ask a mod to move it across.

The portrait itself, landscape orientation works for me.
Good eye contact and there are lots of little references that tell a story.
Compositionaly, I feel it could be improved. Your subject is a little low in the frame, there's a fair bit of dead space at the top and I find the background a little too busy. I take it that you have flipped this too, judging by the back to front writing in the image?

This would be better placed in the people and portraits as opposed to here in talk people Jamie.
Ask a mod to move it across.

The portrait itself, landscape orientation works for me.
Good eye contact and there are lots of little references that tell a story.
Compositionaly, I feel it could be improved. Your subject is a little low in the frame, there's a fair bit of dead space at the top and I find the background a little too busy. I take it that you have flipped this too, judging by the back to front writing in the image?
See, I quite like landscape portraits too.. but they are often frowned upon! Thanks for the feedback, i'll be sure to shoot some more film portraits, as I have stocked up lately!

See, I quite like landscape portraits too.. but they are often frowned upon! Thanks for the feedback, i'll be sure to shoot some more film portraits, as I have stocked up lately!
I don't know who you think is frowning, but I mostly shoot people and I have never considered the orientation of my camera in 30 years.

I like it too, but as Iain says it could have been framed a little lower.

Last edited:
I don't know who you think is frowning, but I mostly shoot people and I have never considered the orientation of my camera in 30 years.

I like it too, but as Iain says it could have been framed a little lower.
Completely agree with the pair of you... kicked myself when I saw the image! I was just like 'damn, bad framing!' haha

Shot this on 35mm pound land film... and without pointing out the obvious (its not shot in portrait) what do people think of this portrait of a man on the High Street?View attachment 58337

Although the portrait is framed a little low, the landscape orientation isn't a problem for me. I'm guessing that this has been scanned backwards though?

I'm also thinking that the highlights might have been pulled back too far, maybe? What should be the brighter parts of the image just seem flatter than I might have expected.

Last edited:
Although the portrait is framed a little low, the landscape orientation isn't a problem for me. I'm guessing that this has been scanned backwards though?

I'm also thinking that the highlights might have been pulled back too far, maybe? What should be the brighter parts of the image just seem flatter than I might have expected.
Yeah this was scanned backwards, shame really... This is the un-edited version... scanned and plonked it on here for feedback!

Completely agree with the pair of you... kicked myself when I saw the image! I was just like 'damn, bad framing!' haha

Yeah this was scanned backwards, shame really... This is the un-edited version... scanned and plonked it on here for feedback!

I've quoted you a couple of times here Jamie because I'm not really getting your 'thinking'.
You've put this image up for critique but you've essentially critiqued it yourself. The upper quote, you noted 'bad framing', I could understand you still putting it up as we could see beyond that but with the second quote, I feel you're not giving yourself the best chance of critique.

I'm not sure where people could go with critique because it's quite difficult to see beyond the unedited version.

My thinking when putting images up for critique is essentially that I've given it my best effort, framed/composed to my view, edited to get the look I want but then putting it out there for others to critique and perhaps notice something which I've overlooked.

To each their own though, I just feel that to get down to honest critique one needs to present their best effort.
Otherwise, I feel one could get bogged down in explaining perceived 'faults'. For example, the backwards scanning. Could this not have been rectified prior to posting. I'm not a film shooter so don't know how involved scanning is.

This is by no means having a go Jamie, just a few observations/thoughts. Please feel to ignore haha!

Back