Portsmouth from Selsey Beach

I like the basic shot and the light in the sky but would like it more as a leterbox crop and a bit of "pop" added to the sea.

Looks a lovely scene and a great sunset but unfortunately the skyline, which is the focus of the shot, is out of focus.

Looks a lovely scene and a great sunset but unfortunately the skyline, which is the focus of the shot, is out of focus.
Or is it atmospheric haze?

Either way I think it detracts from the image.
It would look better if it was sharp.

Or is it atmospheric haze?

Either way I think it detracts from the image.
It would look better if it was sharp.

I would think that at distance of over 12 miles (which is the distance from Selsey to Portsmouth) there wouldn't be many camera/lens combinations that would cut through haze and produce a sharp skyline but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Agree, I think a letterbox crop would certainly add to it. The most useful attribute of the UV filter is to reduce haze may be worth considering. Possibly the focus point was placed on the sea and not the structures ?

That is a long way from Selsey beech/harbour and I used to wildfowl/shoot the harbour,so I can appreciate what you have done there.

Top points for the shot and trying something very difficult.

For me it looks out of focus. Also there's a little too much foreground, maybe crop some off the bottom? Also, the horizon isn't quite straight?

...snip The most useful attribute of the UV filter is to reduce haze may be worth considering... snip
As Nawty pointed out, this will make no difference on a digital camera, in fact, at a longer focal length (which this appears to be) it would only serve to reduce overall quality and sharpness.

Back