weekly Posiview's TP52 2015. Week 52 Christmas added and FINISHED :)

I have just one thing to say to you..........

LUNATIC :LOL:

Welcome back Andy... well, hardly 'back' you haven't left for 4 years :LOL:

:LOL: I knew I'd find you in here somewhere.
Glad to see you carrying on, it wouldn't be the same without you (and I'm sure your Friday nights wouldn't be the same either without a new theme!)

p.s. Don't worry, I'll try not to hurt you too much this year !!!

I have just one thing to say to you..........

LUNATIC :LOL:

Good to see you hear again.

Cheers all.

Well, here we are, Week 0.

Two (well three) from me.

#1 was of the fire through the fire guard in the cottage we stayed in over Christmas. I wanted something abstract and in addition, and by happenstance, it is an optical illusion. If you look at the intersection of the horizontals and verticals you'll see white dots :hungover:

#2 and #3 are from a recent trip I took to photograph one of my Favourite Michael Kenna photographs (this was a variation of the one he did). It was very strange standing in the same spot he did. I can't decide which I prefer but am erring towards the B&W. I was tempted to even the sky to make it all darker but I like how the light from the town seems to leave the trees in a halo of light.

From a technical perspective, the gap between photographs was, at 5 seconds, too long and the bloomin' intervalometer on my stopped working, hence the gap. I recall the stacking software I used for my PC had the facility that enabled you to fill gaps, the software I use on my Mac doesn't.

I also wish I'd stayed longer to get longer trails and could find where Polaris was to get that in the photograph.

Anyways, thats Week 0 done :)

Week 0 Pattern 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 0 Pattern colour by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 0 Pattern by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
The fire guard for me Andy, its nice, bright and abstract (y)

+1 on the Fire Guard. A square crop was a good decision and I think abstract and pattern work well together. It's this kind of inventive way of looking at ordinary objects that I just can't get my head around. Looking forward to more from this thread!

The star trails are awesome and on their own would have been good, but they don't pack the wallop of the fireguard (for me!)

Andy... welcome back. I've still to finish 2014 but I thought I'd try to get a bit of a headstart in comments on 2015 while I'm stuck in a different country from my camera :(

Great pattern and range of tones in the fire guard: I don't think it's a picture I'd look at for hours on end but it's oddly compelling for something so simple. I think it must be the three spots of red/orange which fade into yellow. Nice...

Your colour star trails are great. It's a shame about the LE noise which our digi cameras produce - because you're doing trails I'm not sure there's a way around it (not really feasible to stack). The only downside with all the "shutter open" time is the foreground can blur a lot, especially if windy. I countered this once by taking a second, very short exposure for the area I wanted silhouetted and then combining in post. Bit of a faff but it gives crystal clear foreground and still the sky effect you're after.

But your shot is great as is and a super submission for this practice theme.

Think they're all great frankly! Although the fire guard does command your attention immediately, but the optical illusion bit makes me need paracetamol after a little while[emoji23]

Love the fireguard shot Andy, fantastic colours and them dots really are odd :confused:

Glad you ejoyed your trip and got the images you wanted, I prefer the B&W one myself, although I love the oramnge glow you have acheived in the colour shot... and know it would be a pain in the arse but would have cloned the gaps in PS or via Spot Removal in LR, my OCD would not let me stop once started :D

Last edited:
How odd, I see the white dots when I move my eyes around. Like the fireguard one most and the B&W star field next.
Good start.

Thanks Andy . . . I now have white sots floating in front of my eyes even when I've stopped looking at it :LOL:
Very nice abstract shot, fab colours and that optical illusion is pretty cool actually!

I like the star trails too, but maybe not quite as fitting to the theme - although I'm glad you had the chance to recreate one of your favourite shots.

I love the colours in the first one, hits patterns firmly on the head too.

Hi Andy, #1 gets my vote too, it seems closer to the theme. I really like that the background has some of the red from the fire in too

Five years in a row, wow, thats some level of comitment. Really like the abstract fore guard image, best on of the bunch for me.

Ill take a leaf from your book and make sure I get at least into double figures this time.

The fire guard for me Andy, its nice, bright and abstract (y)

@Cobra, thanks, I think I'll try and do more abstracts this year.

Harlequin565 post: 6639203 said:
+1 on the Fire Guard. A square crop was a good decision and I think abstract and pattern work well together. It's this kind of inventive way of looking at ordinary objects that I just can't get my head around. Looking forward to more from this thread!

The star trails are awesome and on their own would have been good, but they don't pack the wallop of the fireguard (for me!)

@Harlequin565, thanks, Take time to look at every day objects, set you camera on a tripod and just me the object around to see that you come up with (y)

Cheers.

Andy... welcome back. I've still to finish 2014 but I thought I'd try to get a bit of a headstart in comments on 2015 while I'm stuck in a different country from my camera :(

Great pattern and range of tones in the fire guard: I don't think it's a picture I'd look at for hours on end but it's oddly compelling for something so simple. I think it must be the three spots of red/orange which fade into yellow. Nice...

Your colour star trails are great. It's a shame about the LE noise which our digi cameras produce - because you're doing trails I'm not sure there's a way around it (not really feasible to stack). The only downside with all the "shutter open" time is the foreground can blur a lot, especially if windy. I countered this once by taking a second, very short exposure for the area I wanted silhouetted and then combining in post. Bit of a faff but it gives crystal clear foreground and still the sky effect you're after.

But your shot is great as is and a super submission for this practice theme.

@pjm1, cheers, Paul, yeah I'd agree, it's not quite a Monet :)

The stars, there shouldn't be much LE noise as they were only 20 second exposures :thinking: I don't think about the trees moving over the exposures. I might try and blend the final photograph with a single frame.

Cheers.

Think they're all great frankly! Although the fire guard does command your attention immediately, but the optical illusion bit makes me need paracetamol after a little while[emoji23]

@ferg007, cheers. The optical illusion does give one a headache :)

Love the fireguard shot Andy, fantastic colours and them dots really are odd :confused:

Glad you ejoyed your trip and got the images you wanted, I prefer the B&W one myself, although I love the oramnge glow you have acheived in the colour shot... and know it would be a pain in the arse but would have cloned the gaps in PS or via Spot Removal in LR, my OCD would not let me stop once started :D

@Dark Knight Cheers, Dean, I did start to clone the gaps but gave up. As I recall the Windows star trail software I used to use enabled you to fill in the gaps, but the Mac software I have doesn't...grrrrr.

Three great images but I like the fire guard shot nice and bright and abstract as well, looks like your off to a great start.

@Pinkbikerbabe Cheers, Mandy and I'd agree with you.

How odd, I see the white dots when I move my eyes around. Like the fireguard one most and the B&W star field next.

Good start.

@ShinySideUp, cheers, the dots do make you go dizzy )

You seem to love doing 52's Andy. Year 5 :eek:

Theme wise, I think the fire guard suits best. Nice colour too.

@rpn, yup year 5....:puke:

Appreciate the FB (y)

Thanks Andy . . . I now have white sots floating in front of my eyes even when I've stopped looking at it :LOL:
Very nice abstract shot, fab colours and that optical illusion is pretty cool actually!

I like the star trails too, but maybe not quite as fitting to the theme - although I'm glad you had the chance to recreate one of your favourite shots.

@SarahLee, cheers, Sarah, yeah, the star trails were an indulgence :)

I love the colours in the first one, hits patterns firmly on the head too.

@Happysnapper79, cheers, appreciate you popping by.

Five years in a row, wow, thats some level of comitment. Really like the abstract fore guard image, best on of the bunch for me.

Ill take a leaf from your book and make sure I get at least into double figures this time.

@danhardwick, cheers, I'm sure you'll make it this time and if you get fed up or need any encouragement that's what we are all here for (y)

I really like #1 Andy, it's a great image :D

@gbmphoto, cheers, yeah it's #1 for me as well.

Thanks for the feedback all...is it Friday year :exit:

@Dark Knight Cheers, Dean, I did start to clone the gaps but gave up. As I recall the Windows star trail software I used to use enabled you to fill in the gaps, but the Mac software I have doesn't...grrrrr.
Well... that is what happens when you move to an inferior system like IOS :whistle: :exit:

Fire guard for me too :) I find the gaps in the star trails one too distracting and the trees look a little soft. Well done spotting the potential in the fireguard, you're obviously hot stuff :runaway:

Nice start Andy, 5 years in a row, dedication.

And if that turns up as a theme, Im sorted.

Hi Andy :wave:, good to see you still at it. 3rd image stands out for me. First probably fits the theme better but I just can't look at it long enough to decide. I'm seeing dots everywhere now!

Well i didn't guess what the image was, so that is a definite well done, a lovely puzzling shot. You have a great eye for detail. Star shots are both lovely a very distant dream for me. Haven't got the inclination to stand in the freezing cold.

Hi there matey :wave:

Fireguard for me....brilliantly asbtract , strong warm colors.........& really irritating dots before my eye's.....:D

The star trails work perfectly for me ( & very envious as I just can't manage to do them !) but the blurry tree's let the shots down....sorry :(

Great abstract shot Andy. A picture I would happily hang on a wall.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Another +1 for the Fireguard. Great pattern and you can actually feel the warmth from it. The crop works perfectly with the design of the fireguard too.

Love the first one, rich colours.

@-aurorae-, thanks.

Fire guard for me too :) I find the gaps in the star trails one too distracting and the trees look a little soft. Well done spotting the potential in the fireguard, you're obviously hot stuff :runaway:

@Bruja, thanks for the FB. Yeah, the gaps, 20 seconds was maybe too long an exposure because the wind was blowing and lead to movement in the trees.

Cheers.

Hi Andy ...very hard to choose as they are so different ...I love abstract so the fire guard really fits the bill, but the black and white night sky also has an abstract feel too ... both are excellent for theme....I'm looking forward to your 2015 thread :)

@susiejb, cheers, Susie, I am looking to develop my own style this year and am erring towards abstracts.

Nice start Andy, 5 years in a row, dedication.

And if that turns up as a theme, Im sorted.

@Phil Bennett cheers, it's been an interesting 4 years :)

Hello!

Like both shots, but the first one is more on theme for me, though the star trails are up there too.

Off to a flying start as they say!

@ChickenDipa, thanks and good to see you back :)

Hi Andy :wave:, good to see you still at it. 3rd image stands out for me. First probably fits the theme better but I just can't look at it long enough to decide. I'm seeing dots everywhere now!

@Barrysprout, cheers, yeah, them bloody dots :)

Well i didn't guess what the image was, so that is a definite well done, a lovely puzzling shot. You have a great eye for detail. Star shots are both lovely a very distant dream for me. Haven't got the inclination to stand in the freezing cold.

@HeartandSoul, cheers, standing in a cold field is a dram for me, nice and quiet.

Hi there matey :wave:

Fireguard for me....brilliantly asbtract , strong warm colors.........& really irritating dots before my eye's.....:D

The star trails work perfectly for me ( & very envious as I just can't manage to do them !) but the blurry tree's let the shots down....sorry :(

@blondie606, cheers, I'm looking a more abstracts this year. No worries re the trees, wind was too strong to get nice detail. Star trails, we need a nice empty sky with no light pollution. I hear Majorca has both ;)

Great abstract shot Andy. A picture I would happily hang on a wall.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

@sr1867, cheers, looking forward to see what this year and tomorrow brings :)

Another +1 for the Fireguard. Great pattern and you can actually feel the warmth from it. The crop works perfectly with the design of the fireguard too.

@Leebert, cheers, thanks, I did a few crops but settled for the square crop.

Thans for the FB all and good luck for the coming week (y)

welcome back Andy

fire-guard thing is fabulous.

and if it's what I think it is, it's amazing how you shot it and cropped it so precisely.

Great shot with the fire-guard, Must say I viewed the images before reading the text and couldn't see those white spots before, now they seem to be jumping around the image, I also though it looked like mosaic tiling before reading, would look nice in the bathroom though.
All the best for 2015

The star trail shots are both stunning and although normally I would expect to favour the b&w shot I actually prefer the colour version, the coloured halo really adds to the atmosphere but the fire guard s*** is a real corker, it's actually very difficult to look at for long as it makes my eyes dart all over the I age and as others have said there are white spots popping up all over the place, very strange indeed.

Welcome back Andy, glad to see you're still here! Love the fireguard shot, fantastic colours that really pop out at you :clap: With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Back