Post-shooting eye problem

Edit My Images
No
I've noticed recently that after I've spent some time taking pictures, my eyes go weird and I find it hard to focus. It's like having hay fever except my eyes don't stream. They're dry. It just looks like it would if they were watering.

It lasts about 10-20 mins and then goes.

Anyone get this, or know what it is?

This sounds like your eyes working to hard to focus, similar to headaches caused by sitting at computers too long etc

When was the last time you had your eyes tested ?

Its possible you may not have the dioptre setting on the camera correct, on the 20D its a little wheel to the right of the eyepiece, try turning it a little to see if focus becomes clearer or easier on your eyes !

I've played about with the Diopter thing beack when I got the camera but not since. Maybe I'll give it another bash. As for eye tests... I've never had one. Or at least if I have it was at school or something. Maybe I'll get one done.

fingerz said:
I've noticed recently that after I've spent some time taking pictures, my eyes go weird and I find it hard to focus. It's like having hay fever except my eyes don't stream. They're dry. It just looks like it would if they were watering.

It lasts about 10-20 mins and then goes.

Anyone get this, or know what it is?

I get this, and my optician reckons it's caused by tightness in the focussing muscle in the eye. It only seems to happen if I'm following something through the viewfinder for an extended period of time, mainly when shooting in low light or bright sunshine. Adjusting the dioptre makes no difference but keeping my other eye open does!

I see. Well I've just been following Drogonflies through the viewfinder so that would tally up with what you're saying. Also the other times I've noticed it have been with sunset/sunrise shots so lots of bright light involved.

I get something similar in that my eye just seems to give up and go out of focus.
I think mine's just down to eye tiredness and too much strain.

Having a good blink and a bit of a rub always perks them up a bit :naughty: as a short term stopgap, as does giving my face a good wash with cold water :D

thats nasty....

Do you close the eye thats not looking through the view finder?
If the answer is YES, this could be the problem.

You should keep both eyes open, it also helps when tracking subjects.

Ok I've tried keeping both eyes open but I can't do it. I just can't see the viewfinder image. It's just like I'm looking at something normally but with a slightly annoying overlay in my right eye (the one I use for the viewfinder).

Anyone got any tips on how to frame/focus when you keep both eyes open?

Open both eyes but then hold a small object in front of your left eye, really easy and not at all stupid looking....... :snigger:

Back