Post your favourite bird shot from last year

With quite a few communal threads and it being the beginning of this year, I think it'd be nice to post what YOU think was your favourite bird shot from 2016.

Maybe we could do it at the beginning of next year too.

I'll start with :

Duckling + Reflection by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Thats just beautiful, gorgeous subject & clarity :)

This waxwing has got to be my best shot as I have never taken a photo of one until December 2016 Waxing by sam gosnay, on Flickr

never even seen one so i'm a tad envious! Lovely shot (y)

Hard to choose, but I'd say this was one of my favourites from last year....Stonechat by robert shearer, on Flickr

Thats stunning, amazing detail in those feathers!

Here's mine...

Anyone for fish? by Stef Bennett, on Flickr

1466890306305.jpg Probably this one for me.
As a birthday present from my wife, i got to do a photography lesson and shoot at a local bird sanctuary.
I am very new to this photography lark, so was trying to take it all in and incorporate some of the lesson in this shot, depth of field and the like..
So while it's not the greatest of shots, i think it means more to me as a reminder of a great day and a very thoughtful present from my better half.

View attachment 96118 Probably this one for me.
As a birthday present from my wife, i got to do a photography lesson and shoot at a local bird sanctuary.
I am very new to this photography lark, so was trying to take it all in and incorporate some of the lesson in this shot, depth of field and the like..
So while it's not the greatest of shots, i think it means more to me as a reminder of a great day and a very thoughtful present from my better half.
It's good to get a shot of an owl, and that's a good story. A favourite shot can be your favourite for many reasons, least of all technical reasons. A lot of my favourite shots of my grandkids are the least technically perfect, but they mean a lot to me.

Most of mine are favourites for different reasons but the first goldcrest I've ever seen, and I was so chuffed to get a shot of it. They are so fast, and it was my first day out with the Sigma 150-600.

Goldcrest
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

And this one because little grebes are so cute but never, ever, present me with a good shot, so I have to make the best of what they give me.

Little grebe
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

Great idea Wez,

It would have to be the set I have of some Red Kites flying over the house, but..........................although technically poor with the composition etc..., anyone who has seen me posting and kindly helped me over the last few years while developing my bird/photography skills, will know that I was lucky to have regular visitors of Long Tail Tits to the garden and counting upto 16 at a time........ But............I had never seen a fledgling until 2016.

LTT Fledgling

Long Tailt Tit Fledgling. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Red Kite.

Red Kite by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Red Kite by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Waited years to get the oportunity of capturing the Little owl in the snow .
I had a choice of three ,a head on little owl flight shot and a walking one that got me a few comp wins and a feature in a mag plus a calendar ,but i will just show the one that stands out for me for my favorite image of last year

Little owl in snow (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good thread Wez and some great shots posted (y)

This was a tough decision, not because I have loads to choose from :p but because I've shots that are favourites for different reason :)

I've ended up going with one of me few bif LEO shots from last summer and chose this one for two reasons, its flying straight down the lens and I love the eyes, cheers

LEO head on -re-sized- reduced blue.jpg

I guess I should go for this one, as Water Rails often skulk out of view and only show briefly for many of us, it was a great opportunity to snap this chap just as a gust of wind puffed his feathers out. Going by his facial expression it was a chilly blast from behind. :eek: :D

apart from that viewed at full size the detail stands up to scrutiny.

Water rail
by GaseousClay1, on Flickr

Thanks, I am rather please with it and the memories that go with it are fantastic, we were sea kayaking in the fjords and had stopped for lunch on a little beach and this Eagle sat and munched some shellfish, posed for a bit and then flew straight past me!

It was the second day of our holiday and I almost hung my camera up there and then.

Thanks, I am rather please with it and the memories that go with it are fantastic, we were sea kayaking in the fjords and had stopped for lunch on a little beach and this Eagle sat and munched some shellfish, posed for a bit and then flew straight past me!

It was the second day of our holiday and I almost hung my camera up there and then.

Something you'll never forget, I always love stories behind photos. Thanks for elaborating, makes it a whole lot nicer to look at :)

Munchycarrot, I had heard they were in our area on a specific road, there was one Waxwing and one bush of red berries, Iliterally drew up in my car directly opposite on the other side of the road was the bush with this Waxwing tucking in, was rather lucky but very happy

Back