Poster paint and a bit of electronics.

Delicious work, Mick!
…love #1 the best

Wow, so creamy! The splash in the first one looks like a plant growing from a pot!

Thanks. Getting the shots was the easy bit. All the setting up is what takes the time and effort.

I can imagine the paint and surface is straight forward, but the lighting at droplet timing must be a chore! But I guess that's what makes it so rewarding in the end!

Lighting is the easiest bit. They are not droplets at all. Getting the surface to move and give the movement to the paint is the hard bit.

Believe it or not condoms come in handy. Don't use standard size they are too small. I use my bespoke items!
(I'm not joking...well not too much!)

A great colourful set some of the patterns are amazing. I'm a little disconcerted by the 2nd one as the splash at the back looks like madam dominatrix cracking her whip :D

Lighting is the easiest bit. They are not droplets at all. Getting the surface to move and give the movement to the paint is the hard bit.

Believe it or not condoms come in handy. Don't use standard size they are too small. I use my bespoke items!
(I'm not joking...well not too much!)

Wait.. You use the condoms as a bouncy surface?

More like a speaker diaphragm?
Yes it's a speaker. Getting the membrane across is tricky. I have used condoms before. Blow them up to stretch them then they will fit over a six inch speaker if you are careful.

This was with a 9" speaker so I bought some extra large black balloons. Again, blow them up to loosen them, cut off the neck and stretch over the speaker.
The tricky bit is getting it to move. You can use music but that is irregular. I "acquired" a wave generator. It came from Park Lane mental hospital (where Ian Brady, Denis Nillsen, Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman and the like are treated) in exchange for an old tripod! A cheapo amplifier from evilbay and away we go.

The membrane over the speaker vibrates regularly. The paint jumps about and changes consistency. Adding a cornflour mix changes the properties of the fluid. Just keep wiping it away and starting again with different colours as you see fit.

Ligthing is just routine against a black backdrop. Two flash guns either side fired from a hotshoe controller. The paint is jumping about all over the place so just keep hitting the trigger button.

Images are almost straight OOC.

Last edited:
For those who are interested camera settings were approximately f4, ISO 200, 1/180sec. Flash was 1/64 power. Can't be too definite because I played around a bit, but those are fairly close to "standard".

As I've got the gear, if anyone in NW wants a bash just shout. Your place or mine. Just don't do it in your lounge.
All you need to supply is a small packet of cornflour and a packet of chocolate hobnobs (Well we'll need something with our coffee!)

Back