Powerlines - an open thread

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
No
IMG_9293_web-2.jpg

Strip malls are ugly. They're where creativity goes to die. Sacrificed to retail commerce distilled to its purist form. Save for the occasional bright young shopgirl, all beauty stripped away. Pointing that out might get you in trouble, though.

Strip malls are ugly, but that's about it. You can find some beauty in pretty much everything else.

Powerlines are beautiful. I take pictures of them all the time.

I come from a family of engineers. At any point in civilization its engineering is at the pinnacle of human creativity. I look at powerlines and think, our civilization wired the planet. Built the grid. Holy s***.

I can't be the only one who takes pictures of powerlines. Show us some.

IMG_9309_web-2.jpg

IMG_0360_web-1.jpg

IMG_0126_web-2.jpg

Last edited:
One power line in a landscape is usually a damned curse, but multiple power lines can be impressive.

Apart from No3 (4 power lines are no where near enough) your pictures are very eye catching (y)

I've had a bit of a fascination with powerlines since I saw the old Play Safe public information films back as a kid so, while I don't go out of my way to deliberately shoot them, I will utilise them when the opportunity arises. I've got a lot of shots of them, but here are a few.

Patterns of electicity
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Along the National Grid

FILM - On bleak winter days

FILM - Over the hill

True story... my first "full time" job was painting those buggers...

I was at college, on what used to be referred to as a "sandwich" course - placements were non-existant, so I needed something that paid the bills.

Walking down road in a nearby town, saw a building firm with a sign outside that said "Now Hireing" and in chalk underneath "Industrial Painters".

I thought "what the hell" and wandered in.

Interview was "how's your head for heights" - "Well, I'm a fairly keen rock climber" - "Right, See you Monday, there'll be a 3 day induction course then out on the job - don't worry about the money, it's on measure, but it's bloody good".

Pitched up the following monday, was shipped to the local Electricity Boards training centre where it was explained that we would be painting pylons, up to 132kv, half live line.

I tell you what, the view from up on the top crossarms of those things is something to behold... Maybe not when it's windy though!

Almost the end of the line...

Electric distribution box on pole DSC01260.JPG

I do slightly wonder if this should be in photos for pleasure?

good point - and something of an indication of how preoccupied I am at the moment, that I posted in it, and didn't realise it was in the wrong place.

It's now moved :)

Pylon against an early spring sky...

Electricity pylon against cloud and blue sky IMG_3770.JPG

Telephone wires carry power so perhaps they qualify?

Heh, I missed this. 50v DC as standard, which you wont feel. However it's 85v AC when it rings. That, you feel. Esp at the top of a pole with an uninsulated pair of cutters in the rain. Or picking up a joint full of water... Yep. Don't miss that at all.

I remember that from my 1st day on the job.
"Is it safe to cut this?"
"Yep. As long as it's not ringing. In which case you'll get a belt." :grin:

Still. An apprentice in 1987 is better than an apprentice in 1967. But probably worse than an apprentice in 2007.

Hmm.. can't do a sad emote *and* a like...

Think that 1st one has a nice composition to it tbh. All good!

Back