Practising ring shots

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
First time posting in this section, but i wanted to capture a nice ring shot for a wedding im doing in May so was practising with mine and the wifes.

Not sure if i should invest in a dedicated macro lens yet, so i made do with an old Nikon manual 50 1.8 on a reverse ring. It does the job, but is a bit of a faff if im honest and not sure if in the rush of a wedding day id have time to set it up.

Anyway, first time trying any sort of close up work, so any cc good or bad is welcomed.

Thanks.

DSC_2074 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/63394840@N02/

don't know what effect your trying to create but looks like a soft image to me and
whats the white stuff dust or very dirty sensor lol lol
if you want proper 1:1 you need a macro end of
forget anything like reversing the lens
or screw on filters there all pants

Cheers mate, just going for a bit of drama. Realise reverse rings are not true macro, but like I say I wanted to have a play before I invest in a dedicated lens.
The white stuff was just water sprayed from a misting bottle to add something to the picture or not depending on your view.

Thanks for looking

don't know what effect your trying to create but looks like a soft image to me and

In what way pants? Incapable of producing a decent image? Difficult to use?

By "filters" do you mean single-element close-up filters, or are you saying that multi-element achromats are pants too?

Cheers mate, just going for a bit of drama. Realise reverse rings are not true macro, but like I say I wanted to have a play before I invest in a dedicated lens.
The white stuff was just water sprayed from a misting bottle to add something to the picture or not depending on your view.

Thanks for looking

I think you got an interesting look, dramatic even, but wouldn't something more straightforward be more the thing? (I don't know, I don't have anything to do with weddings. Maybe that is the style these days.) But if you are going to do something like that you might want to get the illumination arranged so you don't have anything blown to white.

Gemstones are designed to reflect light from the top back out from the top. Going from the side makes the stone dark. You could try for a higher angle and a carefully positioned extra light source to reflect the sparkle into the lens. The bride isn't going to be impressed if you make her fantastic diamond look cheap.

Erty

Thanks for the feedback everyone, i realise its not something for everyone and not exactly a traditional ring shot but, i have seen this style alot lately and wanted to try it myself without having to invest in a macro lens.

I have found that the reverse macro and tubes etc can do the job, but it just takes time setting up and focusing. This is where a proper macro would be handy, and i might still get one. The Sigma 105 2.8 seems reasonable ....

Really?!!! Some of my best early macro were reversed lenses, sure it's more tricky but with time and dedication, you can get some great results with the right lens reversed and its a good affordable way to get into macro!

I like the idea, it's different, a bit of pizzazz! I also initially thought it was glitter, or water spray, anything but dust - glitter might work better? ... I would ignore people telling you that you must have a dedicated macro lens btw, absoloute nonsense. I've seen some amazing macro photographers create stunning images using macro rings and reversed lenses.

Back