Critique Practising with lights

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been a while since I got my lights out but in about a month I'll have a dedicated 6mx4m space for my photography so I thought I'd get the kit out again. I caught this capture and loved the light on her face. I was a little disappointed about the styling of her outfit, teddy etc and the crop, but I was really happy with the soft light on her face. I'm hoping once I have a dedicated space I'll be able to improve and plan out the shoots a bit better. Could probably try and remove some of the yellow cast from the soft toy from her face too.

Lala by leega, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Lee.

You caught a lovely moment there her gaze/mood is great.
I like the image. Your doing well.
For me I would knock the brightness of the teddy down a bit as it is hitting the viewer right in the face and taking the attention away from the maun subject.
Is there any reason you have cropped in so tight ?

Gaz

Thanks for your comments. I agree about the teddy. It’s cropped like that because the bottom of her dress was really colourful and I wanted it out the shot. Id rather she was wearing a different outfit and didn’t have such a bright toy but I was really just trying to get some nice lighting. I’m hoping to work on the overall styling and composition a bit better when I have a dedicated space and don’t have to try and work from my living room.

Yes, its a tellytubby. I think it's Lala.

Bit more practice this time with pink. I'm trying to get better and part of that is trying to critique my own work. On the first one I can see lots to improve, the outfit, the crop, the toy, I do like the light on her face though. On this one, I like it, and as her mother I obviously think its adorable but it's not 'wow'. The expression is nice but maybe doesn't really capture much personality?,, I could fix her hair, maybe the lighting is a bit 'blah'. Any other comments? As a parent would you be happy with this on your wall? I can see the stain on her top I should have fixed in post (she won't take this top off at the moment so swapping it wasn't an option!)

To put it in context, I have no ambitions to be a pro, I have a job that pays well but I enjoy this and when I do something I want to do it to the best of my ability so I'd like to be able to pull off 'pro' images.

Pretty in pink by leega, on Flickr

Last edited:
You're doing fine,
2nd image works better for me ,
nice soft lighting the expression is nice ,but could be better ,
all depends on how big you walls are,
might as well get it on there now and replace as you get what you feel is a better expression

Second shot is lovely, what an adorable little girl.

Yes, its a tellytubby. I think it's Lala.

Bit more practice this time with pink. I'm trying to get better and part of that is trying to critique my own work. On the first one I can see lots to improve, the outfit, the crop, the toy, I do like the light on her face though. On this one, I like it, and as her mother I obviously think its adorable but it's not 'wow'. The expression is nice but maybe doesn't really capture much personality?,, I could fix her hair, maybe the lighting is a bit 'blah'. Any other comments? As a parent would you be happy with this on your wall? I can see the stain on her top I should have fixed in post (she won't take this top off at the moment so swapping it wasn't an option!)

To put it in context, I have no ambitions to be a pro, I have a job that pays well but I enjoy this and when I do something I want to do it to the best of my ability so I'd like to be able to pull off 'pro' images.

Pretty in pink by leega, on Flickr

This is lovely!

Just one comment.. you don't have to use supersoft light all the time. If you're finding it blah then maybe try a smaller modifier - or moving it to one side?

fwiw I like it as it is including the close frontal lighting.

If that's your own daughter I need to congratulate you on being able to get a photo with her being still/normal etc at all. As soon as I switch my camera on my two urchins turn into gormless trolls with horrible rictus grins. I swear they do it on purpose.

I really like the first shot.

If that's your own daughter I need to congratulate you on being able to get a photo with her being still/normal etc at all. As soon as I switch my camera on my two urchins turn into gormless trolls with horrible rictus grins. I swear they do it on purpose.

I really like the first shot.

Thank you, yes it is my own daughter. The lovely quiet pose hides the reality of the situation. It was incredibly difficult to get her to pose at all. There might have been some bribery involved and an awful lot of frustration on my part.

This is lovely!

Just one comment.. you don't have to use supersoft light all the time. If you're finding it blah then maybe try a smaller modifier - or moving it to one side?

fwiw I like it as it is including the close frontal lighting.

Yes that’s good advice. I’m stuck in a rut of the same lighting position every time because it produces easy results that look decent and I don’t have a lot of room. But my “studio” (6x4m garden room) will be ready in three weeks so hoping I can get a bit more creative. Ceiling height is low but hopefully not too much of an issue for a 3 year old and I’m getting some big sheets of black foam core to help control the light a bit more.

Back