Pre-Brexit Purchases?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Are you planning to buy or maybe already bought something you were thinking about but weren't so sure about, maybe a new (used) car, a new laptop, lens, holiday package jewellery, even expensive painting?! Euros, Dollars?

I don't want to discuss brexit itself here, good or bad; only that is now seems likely and that likely means pound will go down.. maybe a lot and losing money is certainly undesirable.

Nope, we are currently in Turkey and the exchange rate is more or less the same as last year.
However we've noticed that the alcohol and taxi prices have gone up compared to last year.

Nope, we are currently in Turkey and the exchange rate is more or less the same as last year.
However we've noticed that the alcohol and taxi prices have gone up compared to last year.
We’re in Turkey as well, isn’t the alcohol price increase down to the new bloke in charge, a strict muslim, increasing the tax on it?

We’re in Turkey as well, isn’t the alcohol price increase down to the new bloke in charge, a strict muslim, increasing the tax on it?

I was told the same from another Brit here.
Apologies OP for going off topic.

I need a new computer.

Didn't someone (BJ?) say that if we leave without a deal there'll be no new duties imposed on incoming goods? If that happens it may only be for a time until trade deals are done/not done but for a time it could be that stuff like computers from China or wherever they're made which could currently be subject to tariffs (which the UK doesn't get to keep, it's sent to the EC AFAIK) could actually be cheaper as we wont be loading on the EC imposed tariff?

I don't know if any non tariff loaded goods would still be cheaper after any £ fluctuations, don't suppose anyone really knows.

Other than that I haven't brought forward or pushed back any purchases. We got a new cooker yesterday, dunno where it was made though.

Last edited:
Didn't someone (BJ?) say that if we leave without a deal there'll be no new duties imposed on incoming goods?
It's not clear-cut, there are duties on some products which mean products from the EU will have duties where they don't now - e.g. cars - but there is a general reduction in duties from the rest of the world
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47551266

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to do a trade deal with us if they already have mainly tariff free access to our markets

It's not clear-cut, there are duties on some products which mean products from the EU will have duties where they don't now - e.g. cars - but there is a general reduction in duties from the rest of the world
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47551266

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to do a trade deal with us if they already have mainly tariff free access to our markets

I don't want this to descend into a Brexit thread so I'm not going anywhere near your closing point and TBH I'm disappointed but not surprised you made it :( ... but it could just be that some imports end up being cheaper at least for a time post a no deal Brexit because there'd possibly be no EC imposed duty. That was my one and only non political point.

I think I will be looking to get some sort of mac - new or used - now that the old mini has departed and I'm left with 13" that was only intended as writing and backup laptop. No tariff from US situation does make me consider things but if £1 = $ 1 or worse this won't help much.

Does it seem that likely, i'm not rushing to do anything yet not that I was planning to anyway
Reckon I will at least get my Christmas markets holiday before anything happens and hopefully next Easter's break too.

Before Brexit was announced, I had my eye on a camera lens that was around £600. It started dropping down further. Then Brexit was announced, GBP value dropped and the same lens is now £750. I’m dreading to find out what will happen next.

After today I am no longer sure what to expect, more likely more prolonged uncertain mess with no clear end result... and whatever effect that may cause to prices and supply levels.
Some stuff like Canon 16-35 f/4 or most macs have certainly gone up a bit compared with 2-3 years ago, but as we know it takes ages for prices to drop even when the conditions are right (i.e. dropping global oil prices don't result in cheaper gas at pump!)

Are you planning to buy or maybe already bought something you were thinking about but weren't so sure about, maybe a new (used) car, a new laptop, lens, holiday package jewellery, even expensive painting?! Euros, Dollars?

I don't want to discuss brexit itself here, good or bad; only that is now seems likely and that likely means pound will go down.. maybe a lot and losing money is certainly undesirable.

Brexit does not mean the price tag of second-hand used cars, laptops, lenses, etc., will go up if it was already imported into the UK long before Brexit.

The costs of brand new things would go up after a no-deal or crappy-deal Brexit, in order to pay for import taxes, tariffs, etc.,

For example: Customers would have to pay extra for a brand new Lecia camera, the extra money will be used by the distributors to pay for the import tariffs, after all, Lecia is from Germany.

I can't afford a brand new Nikon D500 or D5, let alone a brand new Leica M9!! I'm thinking of upgrading my camera to a second-hand used Nikon D300 or D700, which would have already been imported years ago (those were made about 2007-2014). So it would hardly make a different if I buy it before or after Brexit. If the price tag for a second-hand D300 goes up due to Brexit, I would challenge the shop, ask them to prove it to me that they recently imported the second-hand D300. I'm not paying a higher price tag for something that had already been imported long before Brexit. I'm not paying extra which would cover the import costs for someone else's brand new Leica camera that had been imported after Brexit.

I'm most likely to be buying second-hand used lenses, laptops, any other equipment, stuff all already imported long before Brexit. I expect that the costs for those should not be pushed up to cover for import costs on brand new things.

I've been toying with the idea of booking a holiday to Hawaii, and I would assume the price tag makes no different, after all Hawaii is not in the EU. But if I was thinking of going on holiday to Germany, I would likely to want to go before Brexit.

Holidays are much more likely to be affected by the value of the pound

Holidays are much more likely to be affected by the value of the pound

We've been discussing this with other Brits while in Turkey.
Compared to this time last year the drop in exchange rate for the Turkish Lira isn't massive but prices here have certainly gone up.
When the pound dives against the euro when Brexit kicks in a lot of people may decide to holiday out of Europe.
Our concern is that the likes who go to Benidorm may end up coming to places such as Turkey.
Three years ago in another part of Spain we saw a lot of Brits who were staying all inclusive queued up at 9AM waiting for the bar to open.
I am not a snob, far from it, I adhere to my working class roots.
I just don't want this beautiful country invaded by a lot of chavs although from what I've been told it's already happened with some of the resorts here, needless to say we will be avoiding those.

Brexit does not mean the price tag of second-hand used cars, laptops, lenses, etc., will go up if it was already imported into the UK long before Brexit.

Though there is a chance of that happening, as an example, if an item new costs £1000 currently and the second hand one currently sells for 70% of the new price, when the new item goes up to £1300 the second hand version will likely see a price push up to 70% of the new price especially as second hand demand will increase as the new items get more expensive.

Though there is a chance of that happening, as an example, if an item new costs £1000 currently and the second hand one currently sells for 70% of the new price, when the new item goes up to £1300 the second hand version will likely see a price push up to 70% of the new price especially as second hand demand will increase as the new items get more expensive.

Yeah, well it does not apply to discontinued items that are years ago. For example, you could be right, that if the price tag of (say as an example) a brand new D5 goes up because of a no-deal Brexit and to cover for the import tariff, then the price of a second-hand D5 would go up, because it should be 70% the market value of a brand new one.

But the price tag of a second-hand D2 can't possibility go up, after all, there's no more brand-new D2 being imported as they were discontinued years ago, so there's no price rise on a brand-new D2 to cover for import tariffs because of a no-deal Brexit.

Yeah, well it does not apply to discontinued items that are years ago. For example, you could be right, that if the price tag of (say as an example) a brand new D5 goes up because of a no-deal Brexit and to cover for the import tariff, then the price of a second-hand D5 would go up, because it should be 70% the market value of a brand new one.

But the price tag of a second-hand D2 can't possibility go up, after all, there's no more brand-new D2 being imported as they were discontinued years ago, so there's no price rise on a brand-new D2 to cover for import tariffs because of a no-deal Brexit.

If new D5 prices shoot up, that will drive up the price of used D5's.
That would make the D4 a tempting option to some, increasing the demand, and as supply is fixed, prices may well go up. Consequently, those looking at D4's may well be pushed to D3's if the price goes up. Though obviously to a smaller degree.
But how many d3 potential buyers would be satisfied with a d2 I'm not so sure as there was a considerable performancegap between those models from what I hear.

In a hypothetical extreme example, like Venezuela, which I trust we won't come near when the currency devalues 10X times, you can't expect all used items to cost at 10% of their older value. Why should it cost 10%, 20% or 30% less in a more likely currency drop situation?

The price of some older, discountined items has probably already risen because of the Brexit-related fall in the value of the pound. If something is still in sufficient demand, overseas buyers won't mind ordering internationally and will compete with domestic purchasers. The difference in the GBP to EUR exchange rate between May 2016 and now would account for about £200 of the UK price of a Leica M6, a camera that holds its value well in a stable currency. Perhaps tariffs imposed after Brexit will make this a less attractive option for EU27 buyers, of course.

Correct. I remember years ago buying a SB600 flash. Ha dit for 2 or 3 years and the new price had gone up so much I ended up selling it for around 95% of what I had paid for it.

I pretty have everything that I need, anything else if its too expensive I will get it used.

I don't really have any hobbies outside Photography or Guitar, both of which I have enough gear. The only other thing I love to do is travelling and that I can't stock up in advance. I can't even buy currency in advance, it's not like i know where I will be going.

Worse comes to worst I will take more UK holidays for a couple of years, Scotland is meant to be lovely and I've always wanted to see the Cliffs of Dover.

I have a holiday to Iceland planned in March next year. Still early days i.e. haven't booked anything yet but at the same time not sure if I should be booking anything. GBP isn't exactly soaring high atm.

I have a holiday to Iceland planned in March next year. Still early days i.e. haven't booked anything yet but at the same time not sure if I should be booking anything. GBP isn't exactly soaring high atm.

That's a nice idea. As far as Iceland and prices go you can probably can win more by waiting for a really good deal on flights and car rental. Easyjet sometimes drop it for less than 100 and don't be afraid to book with local car companies as opposed to big names. Any newish SUV will do just fine, and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
If you are anything like me there is no pre-point booking hotels if you have no idea where you will end up next night and distances are huge.

I'm seriously tempted with 2-3wks in Tenerife. Very different to Iceland, but its nice and warm :)

Worse comes to worst I will take more UK holidays for a couple of years, Scotland is meant to be lovely and I've always wanted to see the Cliffs of Dover.

By far the best view is from that French ferry, or drone if you can organise that.

I agree about Scotland as long as you can avoid rainy periods.

By far the best view is from that French ferry, or drone if you can organise that.

I agree about Scotland as long as you can avoid rainy periods.

I have Japan booked and paid for in November, could be post Brexit, but it could be potentially the last trip abroad for 12 months!

Just back from Germany and Belgium, Strasbourg booked for December then Lisbon/ Porto planned for Easter.
Would like to get a trip in to Paris as well, if not maybe Ypres and the Great War trenches
Pound to Euro isn't great, but hasn't been for a while, just look at it as 1:1 and enjoy the time away

No plans beyond, whatever will be will be. Next years holiday already booked to Greece, so whatever measures in place regards travel in the event of a no deal will have to be taken on the chin. Prices post Brexit will be what they will be. I am of the attitude that both sides have come out with some howlers of the extremities remaining or staying will mean, so I'm aiming along the middle and preparing for that. My only wish Post Brexit is a complete reset of who sits in Parliament. Nobody anywhere has covered themselves in any glory. True colours have been shown on both sides and it's not pleasant viewing!

No plans beyond, whatever will be will be. Next years holiday already booked to Greece, so whatever measures in place regards travel in the event of a no deal will have to be taken on the chin. Prices post Brexit will be what they will be. I am of the attitude that both sides have come out with some howlers of the extremities remaining or staying will mean, so I'm aiming along the middle and preparing for that. My only wish Post Brexit is a complete reset of who sits in Parliament. Nobody anywhere has covered themselves in any glory. True colours have been shown on both sides and it's not pleasant viewing!

Not wishing to take this off track too much or into Brexit thread category but... I'll try and keep this non partisan... I've heard people saying they're so browned off they wont vote again and I see this as completely wrong... as IMO what we should all do is vote... for someone else.

Assuming there is someone else.

Re holidays and buying stuff.

I had a holiday in Singapore but I was amazed at the cost of stuff as stuff seemed to be anything from about the same price as the UK to 5 times as much. I honestly don't know how the local survive and even the much vaunted as cheap hawker food was IMO about what I'd pay in the UK from a take away or stall (a nice pizza here is £3.50 and they couldn't beat that in Singapore for price or quality) but I suppose the subsidised utility costs help. I think they're about a third of what we pay. The only thing I bought there was a jade bangle and even that can be had cheaper in the UK off evil bay. Mrs WW is off to Thailand next year but I'll have to stay in the UK.

Re holidays and buying stuff.

I had a holiday in Singapore but I was amazed at the cost of stuff as stuff seemed to be anything from about the same price as the UK to 5 times as much. I honestly don't know how the local survive and even the much vaunted as cheap hawker food was IMO about what I'd pay in the UK from a take away or stall (a nice pizza here is £3.50 and they couldn't beat that in Singapore for price or quality) but I suppose the subsidised utility costs help. I think they're about a third of what we pay. The only thing I bought there was a jade bangle and even that can be had cheaper in the UK off evil bay. Mrs WW is off to Thailand next year but I'll have to stay in the UK.

Hawker centre or cook at home.

You can get nice chicken and rice for about £2, has a michelin star. What is stupid high in Singapore is cars, it's like £80 for a Toyota Corolla or something silly because of the tax.

What is stupid high in Singapore is cars, it's like £80 for a Toyota Corolla or something silly because of the tax.

For a day's rental?

Not wishing to take this off track too much or into Brexit thread category but... I'll try and keep this non partisan... I've heard people saying they're so browned off they wont vote again and I see this as completely wrong... as IMO what we should all do is vote... for someone else.

Assuming there is someone else.

Good idea if they all didn't pee into the same pot. With both sides screaming at the others lack of allowing for democracy to prevail, I think our political personalities and organisations are going to be tarnished for generations.

I will wait until dust settles as I think the UK Pound is being heavily shorted at the moment to benefit the money men. I am hoping for a Massive break in import duty and tax on goods from the US....Hope springs eternal!

Back