Prescription glasses

Edit My Images
Yes
Any ideas which UK eye doctors can offer the prescription glass for in your frames? Had a search but not got anywhere! Essentially getting some Bose glasses and need my prescription!

Thanks in advance!

You need an eye test from somewhere like Specsavers who will give you a prescription to give to whoever you chose to make your glasses

AFAIK

Specsavers, Vision Express.......and perhaps all opticians will reglaze your current frames. So why not ask them if they will supply your prescription lenses into your (new) frames, they can always say no but maybe yes!

Specsavers put prescription lenses in a friend's RayBan Wayfarer frames for him.

Specsavers put prescription lenses in a friend's RayBan Wayfarer frames for him.

I asked Specsavers about putting prescription lenses into my RayBan Aviators. They will do it, but said it's at my own risk. I don't know if this is company policy, or down to branch management, but it might be worth confirming before deciding whether to go ahead.

I asked Specsavers about putting prescription lenses into my RayBan Aviators. They will do it, but said it's at my own risk. I don't know if this is company policy, or down to branch management, but it might be worth confirming before deciding whether to go ahead.

I surmise, if they are glazing frames you have bought from them and for any reason the frame gets damaged they simply either get you to choose a different frame of there is a delay in 'making them' whilst they await a replacement.......................but in the case of a customers own frame, at customers risk statement, they are covering their a*ses! I have never had a pair re-glazed but maybe they ask you to sign a disclaimer?

FWIW I suspect that any optician service will have the same policy in regard to re-glazing!

Never heard of the Bose glasses, could you come back to us with what they are like.

I surmise, if they are glazing frames you have bought from them and for any reason the frame gets damaged they simply either get you to choose a different frame of there is a delay in 'making them' whilst they await a replacement.......................but in the case of a customers own frame, at customers risk statement, they are covering their a*ses! I have never had a pair re-glazed but maybe they ask you to sign a disclaimer?

FWIW I suspect that any optician service will have the same policy in regard to re-glazing!

Probably, I don't blame them at all. Just thought it was worth pointing out.

FWIW, staff at two Specsavers branches - in different parts of the country - told me they're more comfortable replacing lenses in RayBan frames made during the Bausch & Lomb era than the newer Luxottica Group ones. I have no idea of there's any real substance to this, or if it's another case of 'the older ones were better'...

FWIW, staff at two Specsavers branches - in different parts of the country - told me they're more comfortable replacing lenses in RayBan frames made during the Bausch & Lomb era than the newer Luxottica Group ones. I have no idea of there's any real substance to this, or if it's another case of 'the older ones were better'...

More often than not I have old frames reglazed. Never had an optician bat an eyelid. It is very Normal for them.

I was just trying to think when my mate had his done, thinking it was fairly recently. Just remembeeds that it must have been 1991/2 since that's when I was given mine by the same friend who gave friend A his (friend B got them cheap while working in Saudi during Desert Storm). Definitely B&L.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys! I will head into the branch near me on the weekend and see what they say - I’m happy to do it all “at my own risk” as they’ll be insured under my insurance anyway, if they break at some point! I just thought that I definitely need new glasses soon, so was thinking about getting the Bose frames and putting in my normal prescription to them, rather than a sunglasses on! I will report back - many thanks everyone.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys! I will head into the branch near me on the weekend and see what they say - I’m happy to do it all “at my own risk” as they’ll be insured under my insurance anyway, if they break at some point! I just thought that I definitely need new glasses soon, so was thinking about getting the Bose frames and putting in my normal prescription to them, rather than a sunglasses on! I will report back - many thanks everyone.
When they say "At your own risk" they mean the risk of the frame breaking / getting damaged during re-glazing.
Some "Sunspec" frames aren't designed to be re-glazed and don't take well to some of the treatments and manipulations employed in the process.

Last edited:

I had 2x pairs of old Oakley frames deglazed with polorized sunniies a few years ago at specsavers, this was what they said to me as well, they did a good job but there were no deals to be done, it was £100 a pair.

Just an update - went into SpecSavers today and they can do this for £39 per pair of glasses. Sounds like a plan!

Be interested to hear what the sound quality is like and battery life.

Pretty much any optician will do this. Especially your local independent optician (who IMO will be much better than the 10 mins on a Saturday mob).

Mine for example charges a £50 glazing fee. This is included with their frames - so their frames = lenses + frame cost, mine = lenses + £50. They will be very happy to reglaze my 10 year old Oakleys.

Back