Presenting your photographs

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I am just thinking of putting together like a portfolio or collection of my favourite photo's, or ones i consider to be my better ones.

I was just wondering can anyone give any advice, ideas or inspiration of what the best way of going about this maybe. Obviously i don't want to just fling them in a 'Wilko' £1.99 photo album, and i am a bit stuck as to what direction to take.

I don't want to go spending an absaloute fortune, but i would just like to do my favourite work some justice.

Any help appreciated!

I did think about putting a portfolio into an Apple book which are pretty spectacular - not overly expensive but you can't change the pictures....

Many companies will let you produce Photo books. These are produced a number of ways, many using on demand printing systems such as the HP Indigo. I had a look at several companies at Focus this year, and the quality was excellent although the prices did vary, depending mainly on the cover.

You could also print the images yourself and use one of the several inkjet albums on the market. It's probably similar in cost to a photo book.

Another way is get mounts cut to fit your prints from either a local or on line framing company. Mount them with a backing board and keep them in a presentation box.

Just spend a few minutes on Google and you'll find lots of possibilities.

Have you thought about a portfolio box. We use the ones from here with the drop spine. If you combine this with the acrylic wallets, clients can slide the pics across with little fuss.

The A4 is a nice size for people to flick through without needing an 8ft desk to view it on :)

I bought a lovely leather photo album from John Lewis and printed some fave pictures in B+W. I stuck them in with photo corners and love the feel of flipping through a proper album, as do my friends.

Here it is: http://www.johnlewis.com/16510/Product.aspx (but I bought 'medium' which allows two 6x4 or 7x5s per page. Mine was also a display model so I got it for £20, it's a little more worn as it wasn't in a box but I like it like that)

I did wonder about one of these: http://www.johnlewis.com/230723457/Product.aspx had a look yesterday and the screen is fantastic, but the leather cover is weirdly slightly too long for the back of the 'book' which will annoy a perfectionist like me, but it has got me wondering about other digital book type options. My heart, however, knows there's nothing quite like looking at actual photographic prints. You see people's eyes light up when you hand them a physical album - it's a lost experience for most people.

ped

I'd go with the portfolio box.. a bound book is too inflexible.. you wouldn't use a "stock" c.v. and cover letter for a job application.. so you wouldn't present the same selection of images to every potential client/employer. And your favourites may change..

i recently did a degree in photography & portfolio boxes were the way to go. The only downside i can see is this...

if you have work in a series, the order is important. If it gets passed around, the order might get mixed up & not then be shown in the order you want it to be seen in. I've never experienced that as a direct problem but some people i know, have. A small issue but one to consider if it's going from office to office... (i'm waffling, sorry)

Last edited:
Back