Press Pass - Scottish Rocks

Name
Alistair Vannet
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
My first time shooting the rocks with a press pass. I had two bodys a 300 2.8 on my 20D and a 85 1.8 (set at 2.2) on my 40D. Still working with them, I'm thinking about putting the 70-200 on for the 85 so I have more flexability with the zoom? but that 85 is quick at 2.2 mmmmm :thinking:

Resized6.jpg

Resized5.jpg

Resized4.jpg

Resized3.jpg

Resized2.jpg

Resized1.jpg

Good stuff, im not sure if the white balance is out in a few of these, they seem to have a slightly yellowy/green tint to them...

Are the 85mm shots cropped at all? id be tempted to try a 200f1.8 as I think it would be an ideal lens for this kind of stuff. Using a wider Aperture may throw the background out of focus even more which can only be a good thing a couple of these look like they are been played in an empty stadium, which looks bad.

I am surprised you attempted sports with the 85mm 1.8, it can be real slow to focus. Well done an those shown though. I see you used manual white balance so assume that the light was even more tinged than shown. Also for shots at 1250 and 1600 ISO they are outstandingly sharp. (y)

I agree with the comments about the white balance, whichever lens you choose finally you need to have it wide open, having those busy backgrounds in focus will be death on action shots.

Thanks for the comments guys (y)

Now that you mention it I do see a small tint in some of the images, but a pink one!!! :L

DreederUK - The 85mm shots are cropped, some alot more than others. I think your 200 1.8 would be great for freezing the action but I think its an odd size to have as a prime, When I use my 70 -200 it is barly at 200mm, but like you said that 1.8 would take the background out even more.

HIMUPNORTH - I was using kelven setting, but I think your suggestion of manual is totally right. I'm gonna give it a bash the next time (y)

same comments as the others really, nice shots but the WB is out, showing yellowish here

I think I would have put the 300 on the 40D and like you suggest using the 70-200 but on the 20D.

Back