Pretty in pink

its different to what I expected from the title which is good, and it makes me pause and think, which is also good. Compositionally I'd like to see more story about her and maybe a little less central

Thanks. Tried off centre and it didn't work for me. Although it does it you go in close to the torso and head.As to her story, I've no idea where she was from, but she was sat in a churchyard early morning. I know what you mean about showing more context, and I did have the chance to go wider and include other benches etc, but the only problem there is that the detail on her face gets lost in the shot. Could have gone in really close for more detail, but then I gain more face and torso but then lose the bag and shoes etc. May have a wider one somewhere on the mem card so I'll look later.

Last edited:
LOL, this image really made me laugh. Great capture!

At the risk of being judgemental, some people don't do themselves any favours do they?

But not red wine with that colour outfit...really!

I was going to mention that- surely a strong cider would have been a better choice :p

good snap though- I hope the OP gave her a copy for her Fakebook account

Think I saw her weating a tutu in a window in Amsterdam's Red Light district a few years ago....

She must've asked herself why is she photographing me?

Glad you like the shot guys. What I like about it is the thought and opinion it provokes from viewers.
After I took the shot, she spoke a little. Was quite pleased for the attention. Definitely not a lady of the night, and quite a character, in a good way.

Was quite pleased for the attention.

I'm a bit of a softie, and this along with the photo, caused me sadness.

It makes me think about what her life might have been, for her to do this to get attention, get somebody to notice her.
I might be completely wrong, and I shouldn't really judge - but it seems a little sad and desperate, and I feel sorry for her.

But that's me forming an opinion of someone i haven't met, based on a photo :) so it's not for me to say..heh

Reactions: BMG
I think that's a superb spot and capture. As Dan says, it does make you feel for the woman - sitting there drinking in the morning, but then who knows the story behind it.

The fact she hasn't bought the very cheapest red wine suggests to me that she's not "just" a local drunk, mind.

Out of interest, how do you go about photographing the people you do - do you ask them first, or explain after? How to do engage and gain permission? I'm curious because your street shots are fascinating.

Thanks for the replies guys. Wasn't cheap wine and I don't think she was a local drunk at all. More likely finishing off a really really late night as this was really early morning.

With regards to approaching people, I never do as all my stuff is candid. I very very rarely say a word or two after if they notice or ask a question but again, it's rare. Essentially, the shot has to be candid for me or it's a no go.

Great image, what a character this lady is.
Brave to capture, would be outside my comfort zone.

An interesting shot, as it's made people think about the story behind it.

From what I can see I'd say she may have been clubbing until the early hours, heels in her bag perhaps, comfy shoes not even fastened up, probably a wig to go with the rest of her clothes, a walk to clear her head and a sit down with the last of the wine to rest her feet. Wig off, normal clothes and bar the piercings you'd pass her in the street and not know its the same woman. No pity from me, she looks like she had a great night and is on her way home.

Great capture too.

This doesn't sit well with me, there's a big part of me that thinks you're judging her..only an opinion.

Last edited:
well what a judgemental bunch of bastards. TP goes trolling

Last edited:
I made it clear in my posts that we spoke and she was a character, in a good way.
I haven't judged her at all, I've even explained certain things to make her come across in a better light. If that's necessary.
But if it's causing offence as to how it's being interpreted, I'm taking it down.

Last edited:
........But if it's causing offence as to how it's being interpreted, I'm taking it down.

i once posted an image of a dozen dead moles hanging from a wire fence
to show a way of life in the country that most people would never see
somebody objected cos their GF ''luvs moles' - so i took it down

the bulk of replies indicated I should have left it 'up' as a boni-fide glimse of country life

This doesn't sit well with me, there's a big part of me that thinks you're judging her..

This comment implies to me that you've already judged her and are extending that to the OP, though I arrived in the thread too late to be able to form an opinion of my own. Personal interpretations will always differ and that's a good thing but I think that there are far too many people willing to jump in and condemn based on their own principles without consideration for the photographer's intent or the merits of the photograph. But that's my personal biases speaking ;)

OP - I appreciate you've removed the photograph from here but is there another link where I could see it for myself, please? I've had a look at your flickr stream and a lot of your street portraits are excellent, particularly like the contrasts in this one and the placement of the subject in the centre of the frame.

Exactly. The comments a photo generates shows that it's stirring emotion and thought. But often that's down to the viewer, and they can interpret the image as they see fit. I've lost count of the number of people who take offence to Parr's work, not that I'm anywhere near his league or style of course. But I'm not going to post such candids for crit as people take offence and get upset and that's not what I'm after.

This comment implies to me that you've already judged her and are extending that to the OP, though I arrived in the thread too late to be able to form an opinion of my own. Personal interpretations will always differ and that's a good thing but I think that there are far too many people willing to jump in and condemn based on their own principles without consideration for the photographer's intent or the merits of the photograph. But that's my personal biases speaking ;)

OP - I appreciate you've removed the photograph from here but is there another link where I could see it for myself, please? I've had a look at your flickr stream and a lot of your street portraits are excellent, particularly like the contrasts in this one and the placement of the subject in the centre of the frame.

Yes of course I'll send you a link in a pm.
The shot was taken purely as she was an absolutely fascinating character and the colours in the scene from her attire against the bland bench and backdrop worked well for me.
It's a street photo. A moment on a street and no more.

I made it clear in my posts that we spoke and she was a character, in a good way.
I haven't judged her at all, I've even explained certain things to make her come across in a better light. If that's necessary.
But if it's causing offence as to how it's being interpreted, I'm taking it down.

the comment was NOT aimed at the op

Back