Preying Mantis mug shot

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I was out for the day on Saturday and my intention was to find one of these mantids, could I, by heck no I could`nt but come the evening one found me, seems like the adolescent ones have learnt that where's there's light there's food.
It took a few goes to get this one to walk onto my hand but once there it was all good.
Using my D750 in DX mode with a Tokina 100mm macro lens.

Prey mantis cleaning (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Prey mantis cleaning 3 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and these shots can be viewed over at flickr with a click.

… now that's some impressive alien, Graham! (y)(y)

Very nice, I used to send off for egg masses and rear various species of these when I was a kid, they can be pretty aggressive, lost count of how many times I've had one launch into my face while looking at them closely.
Used to feed them on raw liver when live prey was scarce. Started them off with fruit flies which made me very popular.

Nice image. Looks like he's cleaning his antenna.

Dave

Very nice, I used to send off for egg masses and rear various species of these when I was a kid, they can be pretty aggressive, lost count of how many times I've had one launch into my face while looking at them closely.
Used to feed them on raw liver when live prey was scarce. Started them off with fruit flies which made me very popular.
Thanks, yeah I have seen a few aggressive wild ones, not nice attacking people for no reason. I got no reason to try to rear these, I prefer them wild.

Nice image. Looks like he's cleaning his antenna.

Dave
Thanks, yes it was cleaning its antenna, in fact, it was more content on cleaning than eating as I had a outside light on drawing lots of moths, flies and mosquitos.

Stunning work Graham.

great shots! how do you find the Tokina 100mm?

I also shoot with the D750 and have been tempted to venture into the world of macro. Is that lens all you need to do it with the d750? Or do you have other equipment to take shots like this?

great shots! how do you find the Tokina 100mm?

I also shoot with the D750 and have been tempted to venture into the world of macro. Is that lens all you need to do it with the d750? Or do you have other equipment to take shots like this?

I think it's a great lens and sharp too, imo it's very good vfm compared to the likes of nikon.
Yep, just the lens and some diffused flash of course, anything like spiders I also use a Raynox dcr 250 but I use "M" mode with this combination.
Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Those are really good Graham. Worth looking at all eight of them over at Flickr. Super detail and clarity.
Cheers nick, I was surprised too [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Back