Print help please

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone can have a quick look at these 2 images. I know most don't like to follow links but I think it would be hard to see what I am talking about from a small file.

I am going to have this printed on a 7x5 acryllic block from Dscl. It's my Mum and Dad. I have had a couple of these blocks in the past and they always look really good.

To my eyes eys they always seem to make the images nice and bright.

Not having had any done in black and white I generaly don't convert to B&W but this seemed to suite the look.

Before sending I have added a bit of contrast to one of them as there was not so much brightness in Dads jumper. In the end I adjusted othere areas slightly. I was wanting a fresh pair of eyes (I seldom get prints done) to have a look and tell me is one going to look/print better than the other or would it make no differance either way.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks Gaz

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7fr49hhwsalw9p/AACr5-iXWX1XdnyOzdugCXWLa?dl=0

For my eye, I liked the second one much better. In the first one your Dad's hair is a bit white and the arms of the jumper too black; the second one gives a bit more substance to your Dad's face, and the folds of the jumper arm are more visible. However, that may not be the effect you want! Can you not print them both off, even on a consumer A4 printer, and stick them up somewhere to live with for a while?

They look pretty similar to me - no obvious differences. Both are possibly a little too bright for my liking.

The thing with black & white is that it can often be subjective. Some scenes suit contrast, others not so much. Some people prefer contrasty B&W, others aren't bothered. So please take what I say with a large does of YMMV.

Both are possibly a little too bright for my liking.
Thats no problem. TBH I have never taken any this bright but thought it added a modern look to them.
I liked the second one much better. In the first one your Dad's hair is a bit white and the arms of the jumper too black
Cheers Chris. Yes I edited the image a bit to stop the jumper looking like a dark blob. Once I had done that I did let Dads hair go a touch darker also along the left side of face.
As Ian said it is subtle but the fact you picked it up means it was worth doing and I am sure it will be more visable when placed on the acrylic block.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look.

Gaz

@juggler

Thanks Simon. I've not had enough experience of printing. In the past I have noticed the dark areas appear darker when printed. I guess experience is needed as to how much Lifting is needed. I have had a few acrylic blocks done in the past and for whatever the reason the images look brighter and pretty much like on my monitor. I have sent the 2nd version for printing. Thanks for taking a look.

Gaz

Last edited:
I prefer the second one. Print wise, I often find that the lab is half a drop darker than the screen, but this will be specific to my monitor. Maybe just lower the highlights a touch in the second one to preserve your dad’s hair?

@gremlin16

Thanks for the feedback. Had to send it off as we were having a Nephews wedding photo done,again onto an acrylic block, it is to be sent over to Australia so the boss wanted it sorted. Else I would have waited for more replies. Good to hear of your experiences when printing though.

Gaz

Just seen you have sent the second one off. Hope it comes back well for you.
Blow me a knock at the door around 6.45pm tonight. Postman with my blocks.

They turned out fab !!! Over the moon with them :)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Gaz

Back