Print problem

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
The wife likes to keep a hard copy of most pictures of the kids, this includes some taken by me and some taken by professional photographers. For the second time we've had prints returned and in only one nostril n each (different sides each time) there's a green/blue colour.

I've ruled out my editing as there's some not edited by me.
It's can't be the printers deliberately doing it as it's happened several times over a period of months.
Pictures taken literally second apart in same light and same position have different nostrils affected.
It only ever effects the nostrils of the children, but is always present but only in one nostril,

I'm not overly fussed as anything more special goes through a better printer, but it would be nice to understand what causes this.

Any ideas?

Printers or are not going to be aiming only for the nostril. Its probably the darkest part of your image and the black is being printed in 4 colour so you need to manually adjust that black area to change the cast if it bothers you. Go into photoshop check the colour values for the area, marquee, fill as desired to give a solid black. A solid rich black in print is usually something like C30 M30 Y30 K100. If its like 30C 100K you'll get a cool cast to the black.

Last edited:
..... maybe profiling is out, but that will show as a notable difference in colour cast across the whole image.

Printers or are not going to be aiming only for the nostril. Its probably the darkest part of your image and the black is being printed in 4 colour so you need to manually adjust that black area to change the cast if it bothers you. Go into photoshop check the colour values for the area, marquee, fill as desired to give a solid black. A solid rich black in print is usually something like C30 M30 Y30 K100. If its like 30C 100K you'll get a cool cast to the black.

I’m not really fussed as the shots come out perfect from better printers. And it’s not aways in dark places.

I think it may be something to do with the transition of lights to darks as I’ve just noticed it on another shot on his hands.

Attachments

• 546CBE6B-CB19-49B1-BEEC-2B486344E391.jpeg
    546CBE6B-CB19-49B1-BEEC-2B486344E391.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 49
I think it may be something to do with the transition of lights to darks as I’ve just noticed it on another shot on his hands.
wtf the eyes are as dark as the nostrils, why's it dumping so much cyan around the nose :confused::eek:

Oh man that bad, sorry can't say why its happening, but its definitely bad :eek:

Which is what we will do, but I’d still like to know why its happened.
That looks like a random blob of ink. Maybe their rollers need cleaning? Perhaps some sort of leak? There are valves in some printers that can fail. Whatever, it is the printer's problem and I wouldn't accept that quality. There are whole forums dedicated to just printing.

That looks like a random blob of ink. Maybe their rollers need cleaning? Perhaps some sort of leak? There are valves in some printers that can fail. Whatever, it is the printer's problem and I wouldn't accept that quality. There are whole forums dedicated to just printing.

It's only 7+ photos always on the nostrils so surely that rules that out?

Are you sure you did not shove a blue marker up his nose?

It's only 7+ photos always on the nostrils so surely that rules that out?
But it looks smudged beyond where the dark area should be. Maybe their cyan is leaking big blobs that then smudge as it gets fed through. Maybe they are not using manufacturer's inks? Very odd!

But it looks smudged beyond where the dark area should be. Maybe their cyan is leaking big blobs that then smudge as it gets fed through. Maybe they are not using manufacturer's inks? Very odd!

Also happened on a print run atleast 6 months ago...

Back