Printer/Document Scanner recommendations

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I understand that printing at home is usually a compromise and also that combo units rarely produce the best prints but as I only print occasionally at home the Canon Pixma 925 that I've had for 5 years has done me fine. I swap the prints in my frames every now and agin when I shoot something i deem worth putting on the wall.
So we're not talking 'exhibition standard', we're talking 'this will brighten the wall in the kitchen standard'.

My Canon Pixma has developed the dreaded B200 fault and as it's 5 years old I can't see it being economic to fix.

So can anyone recommend a printer/doc scanner (unfortunately with my business head on and the lack of footprint space I really have to go with a combo unit) that will print A4 and 6x4 colour prints to a reasonable standard.

Also if it will print both sides automatically that would be a help.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Canon, anything good but reasonably economic will do.

We have done the rounds on printers, you name it we have had it, and now have an HP Office jet Combo, so far its worked OK, it developed a fault something with the print head and was replaced FOC under warranty.
SWMBO subscribes to the instant ink program which makes the running costs reasonable although she does not do a lot.
Currys are doing them for around £150 with a subscription included to the instant ink program

We have done the rounds on printers, you name it we have had it, and now have an HP Office jet Combo, so far its worked OK, it developed a fault something with the print head and was replaced FOC under warranty.
SWMBO subscribes to the instant ink program which makes the running costs reasonable although she does not do a lot.
Currys are doing them for around £150 with a subscription included to the instant ink program
Sounds good. Are you printing photos with it?

Although not a combo the IP7250 is a worthwhile consideration as a document/ photo printer.

I have that as a document printer but it will throw out a darned good photo too..... in fact I struggle to find any less quality than what my pro100s dedicated photo printer offers although that will accept much larger formats of paper.
In addition the ip7250 loads paper from its base and as such has no open section on the top except the lid to access the cartridges...... a big plus for keeping dust out of the gubbins :)
The icing on the cake is the price.... I paid about 70 euros iirc last year.
Ink jets, four I think, is where the expense lies but that applies to most printers I think

As for copying/scanning documents, I simply do them with the v700.
I know it’s two seperate devices so maybe a farce especially if you have lots of paperwork to deal with.

Although not a combo the IP7250 is a worthwhile consideration as a document/ photo printer.

I have that as a document printer but it will throw out a darned good photo too..... in fact I struggle to find any less quality than what my pro100s dedicated photo printer offers although that will accept much larger formats of paper.
In addition the ip7250 loads paper from its base and as such has no open section on the top except the lid to access the cartridges...... a big plus for keeping dust out of the gubbins :)
The icing on the cake is the price.... I paid about 70 euros iirc last year.
Ink jets, four I think, is where the expense lies but that applies to most printers I think

As for copying/scanning documents, I simply do them with the v700.
I know it’s two seperate devices so maybe a farce especially if you have lots of paperwork to deal with.
Thanks Asha, I have considered a separate printer and tbh I think I’d probably get better quality prints but I just don’t have the space.
I do have a V700 but that only comes out when I have a batch of 5x4’s to scan and it’s a proper faff to get it out of its storage place.
The other thing that’s bugging me now is that a lot of new combo units seem to have some sort of rear loading for the 2nd paper tray, that also won’t work for the space I have.

Have a look at Brother printers. Compact and cheap to run. I have a J680, which does duplex, auto-feed scanner, front load only, and decent (not brilliant) colour prints. Wireless and AirPrint work fine.

Sounds good. Are you printing photos with it?
I use it very rarely my wife uses it for crafting and printing my pix of the grandkids for framing but only in small ( 6*4) sizes but it seems OK for that.
The best thing I find is the HP support when we have needed it its been very good and the instant ink deal is quite good value, I think she pays about £2.00 ish per month for 50 pages , the printer talks to HP and new cartridges just arrive when needed,

I have just bought a Canon TS8352. Very happy with the quality of prints at A4. I too got the dreaded B200 code on my Pixma MG6150...…….

I have just bought a Canon TS8352. Very happy with the quality of prints at A4. I too got the dreaded B200 code on my Pixma MG6150...…….
The TS8350 series has a nice spec that includes an expanded inkset for to 'improve' photo printing....................need to think if its footprint and rear paper feed makes it too big for a modest space???

I think the TS 6350 for A4 (and 9550 going to A3 for printing) might be a good option. I have an older model with the same 5 inks, and I really like the print quality for photos (though I realise it's probably nowhere near Pro quality). I've even got quite a few decent black and white prints from it, depending on the paper. It does have a rear tray, but you only need to use that for photo paper, otherwise just drop your A4 into the cassette at the bottom. We leave our rear tray down unless printing photos, when I just pull it out slightly, lift and lock the rear tray, good to go.

Having said all that, it's by way of analogy, as we have an older model; you'd have to see one for yourself. Currys might have them?

... Sorry, just checked and they're both even a different ink, so this comment is mostly useless!

FWIW

The TS8350 costs £149.99 but its immediate predecessor the TS8250 is £85.99
Looking at the specs, unless I have misunderstood something, the only difference is that the 8250 only has WiFi LAN at 2.4Ghz, whereas the 8350 adds the 5Ghz band.

I prefer where I can to use the 5Ghz on my router but as it stands now the printer(s) will be in the same room as the router so the signal will be strong as it can possibly be for its connection to the router....................even if say SWMBO laptop is in another room connected via 2.4Ghz WLAN that should make no difference.

So, unless someone knows of anything I might have missed the cheaper one looks like a no brainer ~ doesn't it ???

PS I think I will go ahead and get the TS8250 :)

am happy my Epson XP 950 printer produces good results and does A3 size as well

Update

I have ordered the TS8250 and all being well collecting it tomorrow at one of our local Waitrose stores, just need to clear the space I have in mind to put together with the trusty old HP mono laser :)

I expect the OP has tried the fixes suggested in THESE links.

If colour prints are a relative rarity, an HP printer (which used to have the print heads built into the carts so an easy fix for blocked jets!) might be a good idea if the print quality is good enough. Mrs Nod's 4100 series Canon is good enough for her flyers and does photocopier duties as well. Getting old now, although it still works fine. Gets regular exercise and is fed Canon inks.

Back