Printer Experience

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdy folks,

It looks as if my Epson R265 is dying :puke: It's been a faithful servant for several years but I'm pretty convinced the yellow and light magenta heads are defunct ... as in they don't print. I've done the usual head clean umpteen times and even removed the cartridges (it's a CISS) and blown the heads through with normal air via a syringe. Before anyone asks, this technique was recommended by Epson technical services as it (supposedly) demonstrates that a) the reservoir inside the head actually has ink in it, and b) the nozzles aren't completely blocked. What it can't do, of course, is determine if the heater/drive electronics for the head is working ... and I think that's what has failed.

So, I've been looking to get a replacement. I'm rather struck by the PX710W and PX720WD "all-in-one" units. They use the same inks as the R265 (which I'm very happy with) and if I'm lucky the CISS may fit as well. I'm told (again by Epson) that the only difference between the two is that the 720 does duplex printing as standard, which would be quite useful for my business printing (reports and the like).

Before I bite the bullet I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any exerience of these printers.

TIA :help:

Steve, thanks for the link. Just one question though ... what was the problem it fixed for you?

they should do you fine, if you worry ring epson and take out the 3 year warranty, don't buy the pcworld warranty as the epson one will get you a refurb the following day.

Steve: Thanks mate, I suspected that was the case but thought I'd ask :)

I spoke to Epson tech support this morning and they confirmed that the heads are forked. They gave me a contact locally for repairs who agreed with Epson's diagnosis and gave me a price of £150 for repair :puke:

Just bought a brand new PX710W for £115 (incl p&p) :D

Thanks for the replies folks - much appreciated, as always :)

I have the PX810FW sounds very similar to the 720 (i.e duplex) but this has a automatic document feed (ADF) on the scanner so I can scan multiple pages to PDF.

It can also do printing direct onto suitable DVDs which is fab for delivering to clients.

Yes, the 810 is also very similar - Epson appear to have a load of all-in-ones at the moment with very similar specs and features. The 720 would have been nice for the duplexing facility but I couldn't find one at (what I consider is) a reasonable price. I have to manually duplex at the moment so I'm no worse off.

CD printing was a must. Some of my final reports for clients go out on CD in pdf format and it looks good for them to receive something with a professional looking cd. The content may be rubbish but the cd looks great :D

i had nothing to lose so i tried the £8 option first and it worked
Hope your new one is ok, it might be worh trying to clean the jets on the other.

Cheer Steve

You can be sure I'll be giving it a try, Steve. If the printer can be resurrected then it'll pass it on to my grandsons for their homework - it'll save them emailing it to me so I can print it for them :p

Back