Printer fault.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon PIXMA Pro - 100 printer which I admit to having a few years. I am having a problem with 2 of the inks - Photo Cyan and cyan, in fact the photo Cyan does not print at all (no colour on a print check). I have carried out 4 cleaning cycles and 4 deep cleaning cycles but still no good. I have spoken to Canon Service and they have assured me that there is no problem with the printer but the compatible inks I am using are causing the problem as the inks are not compatible with this printer. I have used these compatible cartridges for a number of years with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what nozzle cleaning kit do you use. I intend to replace the Cyan cartridges with Genuine ones to see what happens.
Should add I have taken the Print Head out and poured boiling water over it, then left it overnight soaking.

Secondly if I have to replace my printer I would stick with canon so which model do you recommend.

Last edited:
Not for a pro printer but I burnt two heads out on my Ts8050 when using compatible inks from City Express.

Tried everything to recover them: injection kits, ultrasonic cleaning in water and isopropyl and so on and so on.

Went back to OEM inks - zero probs since in spite of not using the printer for months at a time ( not recommended).

I have some inks from octopus-de which are supposed to be better but I haven’t tried them yet.

I used to fix printers for a living, try the following product.

I recently recovered and all in one Brother printer that had been stored for 3 years with compatibles.

Remove the printhead and sit it so the printing surface is dipped in a pool of the cleaner for a few days. It should break down blocked ink. The one good thing is if you can't recover it the printhead is available as a consumable.

Magic bullet does work as well.

Thanks everyone for your help, now ordered "Magic bullet" from Amazon and some OEM cartridges (brought tears to the eyes).

My approach to blocked nozzles is a little different, I remember the days when I was stupid enough to clean blocked nozzles using super high prices Canon ink . Never again.

We buy the cheapest possible cartridge bundle from ebay and get say 40 (8 Sets) cartridges for say 15 quid.
What we do then is just print. Because we are not being precious about ink we just print anything that need printing e.g. letters, craft stuff just gets printed. knowing that the ink is cheep we just print . This means that the printer is being used all the time and there is little chance of ink drying in the nozzles. Have not had to worry about printing nozzle check sheets for more than 5 years using this method.

Perfect prints all the time.

My approach to blocked nozzles is a little different, I remember the days when I was stupid enough to clean blocked nozzles using super high prices Canon ink . Never again.

We buy the cheapest possible cartridge bundle from ebay and get say 40 (8 Sets) cartridges for say 15 quid.
What we do then is just print. Because we are not being precious about ink we just print anything that need printing e.g. letters, craft stuff just gets printed. knowing that the ink is cheep we just print . This means that the printer is being used all the time and there is little chance of ink drying in the nozzles. Have not had to worry about printing nozzle check sheets for more than 5 years using this method.

Perfect prints all the time.

How are the colours after a while?

The cheap ink I tried was terrible. The colour was well off straight away but I decided to wait a while to see what happened over the next week or 2 before adjusting the output to correct the colour shift. Within a week, the cyan (cheapo) had faded a LOT so I binned the rest of the cart and replaced it with a genuine one. For short lived, non photographic use, cheapo compatible carts might be OK (but use the printer very regularly or it will probably suffer blocked nozzles) but IME they're not good for photographs.

Update to printer problem.
Bought a "Magic Bullett" printer nozzle cleaning kit. Yesterday decided to give it a go, first off the plastic tubes attached to the syringes would not fit to the nozzles in the print head, even after soaking in boiling water, so I thought I will put the printer head into a plastic tray with the magic bulley solution in, and leave it overnight. So this morning I decided to have another go with the syringes and plastic tubes, still no luck getting them on the nozzles. I thought okay they have been soaking overnight all I can do is put them in and pray. Put the print head back into the printer and fitted a new set of OEM cartridges and surprise surprise, when I did a print test all was okay.

never used compats in any printer apart from an old pixma all in one a decade ago.
all the pictures from that printer are badly faded, cheap inks for throw away prints.
OEM for keepers

my Pro 100 has been fine with OEM inks in all the 5 years i have owned it and only get used about every 2 months.

Bought a "Magic Bullett" printer nozzle cleaning kit. Yesterday decided to give it a go, first off the plastic tubes attached to the syringes would not fit to the nozzles in the print head, even after soaking in boiling water, so I thought I will put the printer head into a plastic tray with the magic bulley solution in, and leave it overnight. So this morning I decided to have another go with the syringes and plastic tubes, still no luck getting them on the nozzles. I thought okay they have been soaking overnight all I can do is put them in and pray. Put the print head back into the printer and fitted a new set of OEM cartridges and surprise surprise, when I did a print test all was okay.

My print head doesn't have the nozzles as the inks and the head are separate so what I do is soak one of those kitchen clothes in Magic Bullet and then slide the print head over it. If the blockage is really stubborn then leave it over night. It's not so much the vapours/fumes are good enough to unblock the heads.

I use Marrutt inks in my SC-P600 and the only time it really clogs up a bit is if I don't print for a couple of months. Just recently I starting running a nozzle check twice a week and just run a small 6x4 print every couple of weeks and so far no blockages since.

Really chuffed for you. I've done loads with the stuff I use but I have a suspicion that it's the same or similar to Magic bullet. Pretty much every one has had dried ink in the exit of the nozzle and the dip in a pool or as @ecoleman did a big wad of kitchen roll soaked and pushed under the head. I do keep my printer on though and occasionally run a print through. It seems that with Canon printers if they park and cap the head its worse than just leaving it to itself and letting it breathe.

Thanks,

I did think that Magic Bullett should deal with the plastic tube problems. I was looking on you tube yesterday and saw an advert for some other jet cleaner (Think it was called "Printer hospital" )and this had adaptors with it for the different size nozzles. The plastic tubes attached to the syringes in magic bullett are a waste of times ( for my printer that is)

Thanks,

I did think that Magic Bullett should deal with the plastic tube problems. I was looking on you tube yesterday and saw an advert for some other jet cleaner (Think it was called "Printer hospital" )and this had adaptors with it for the different size nozzles. The plastic tubes attached to the syringes in magic bullett are a waste of times ( for my printer that is)

see my 1st post lol

Back