Printer for home use

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I am looking to get a photo printer to start printing my own images,
I recently got one printed from a well known online store and made me think I really should have a go at doing it myself,
I have been looking and it appears canon have some nice photo printers,
I just want to print my own images for personal use and the occasional one to be framed should I see fit,
I have a budget around £100,
I don’t want to spend big just yet as I’ve not had any experience of printing my own images,
I currently have an HP Envy 4527 which I use for everyday use and I doubt will be any good for photos,
Any help would be appreciated on which way to go on this,
If I was to go canon, would it make any difference to the photo quality should I go compatible inks,
Or is it best to use canon ink,
Thanks

Don't think you can go far wrong with one of these Liam https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Pixma-IP7250-Single-Function/dp/B009D07OVQ
No fax or copier, bit noisy and fairly slow to start up, but print quality is excellent and that's what counts

I have been using compatible inks from this company for over ten years https://www.prink.co.uk/
Never had them clog or dry out and still got prints with good colour that were printed years ago, chipped too so the level indicators work

Others will say you should never use third party inks, everyone is entitled to their opinion so its down to personal choice

I have been using epson compatible ink for years.:)

I had really crap results (poor colour and fast fading) from a compatible cart so always use Canon original inks in my photo printer. Once bitten, twice shy!

If possible, see photos printed from any potential purchases to see if a 4 colour (CMYK) printer delivers enough quality for you. Those with more inks (usually light Cyan and Magenta as well as [possibly] a couple of greys) deliver better colours and can do better B&W prints (with no colour cast).

I'm in a similar position in needing a new printer, but I want a multifunction printer.
I've been looking around and it seems that the Canon printers do seem to offer a good deal and printing costs seem to be more reasonable. The Canon I'm looking at (TS8150) has 6 inks: PGBK, BK, C, M, Y, PB. So that's 2 blacks (for better b&w printing) plus a special blue for photos.
I think it has to be said that if you're going for a printer for printing photos at home, you need to a) calibrate your monitor and b) stick to the manufacturers ink at least in the first instance. The compatible inks can't be guaranteed to be colour-accurate and so what you see on screen is not what you get out of the printer (hence why you also need to calibrate your monitor).
My current (admittedly low spec) HP printer has not been happy with compatible inks at all. I don't know how well Canon printers will cope with compatible ink, but if I am buying a printer for photo purposes, I want the colours to be right.

I currently have an HP Envy 4527 which I use for everyday use and I doubt will be any good for photos,
You're not going to get anything much better for £100, Why not wiz a few pieces of photo paper through your existing printer?
Not sure if it will apply to that model, but hidden away in the advanced settings there is a further option to improve the image resolution.

Cheers guys,
Yeah was thinking about trying my current one for photos but I’d prefer a dedicated one,
Suppose it won’t hurt to try,
The IP7250 was exactly the one I was thinking,
I have seen compatibles for £10

Hi sorry to hi-jack, I have been asked a few times for prints for some sports I’ve done, no idea what to look for in a printer, so just said “no”.

I’ve never printed any photos before.

I have a hp officejet pro 7740, would this produce worthwhile prints ?

Back