Printer recommendations, up to A4 on a budget

Edit My Images
No
Looking for printer recommendations for printing out photo quality images up to A4. Most will be 5x7, 6x4, 5x5 and 10x8 (or A4).

I don't have tons of money to spend, thinking £300 maximum.

Don't need scanner or any Wi-fi facility or anything like that, just plug into iMac via USB cable and print off, that's it, nothing complicated or fancy, just a printer that prints off decent quality prints and is reliable and does not cost a fortune for print cartridges or use them up too damn fast.

What home printer is, shall I say, reliably reliable? And what home printer doesn't cost a fortune in ink? And how long before it fails in some way and becomes just landfill?

Maybe not the answer you want, but upload your picture files to Photobox, for instance, and they'll likely be with you the next day.

Canon ip7250

Droj, I need a printer for certain 0n-the-spot work I do, where I need to print off for a client there and then.

Canon ip7250 gets bad reviews on Amazon for being twitchy, unreliable and built like crap. Any other suggestions?

So it has to be portable. Is the common inkjet transit-friendly?

If you only wanted 6x4's I'd suggest a Canon Selphy (dye-sub) ...

(Bigger dye-subs are way over the budget.)

Last edited:
Canon ip7250 gets bad reviews on Amazon for being twitchy, unreliable and built like crap. Any other suggestions?
If you do a search on here you will find quite the opposite view.
My review would say can't go wrong for under fifty quid and others who own one say the same

Ok, I know I said about budget, but, for a moment, if I scrap the budget element and go for non-ink, what should I be looking at in a more professional, robust printer that uses some other technology, not ink. Again, don't have to go bigger than 6x9 inches.

I have owned my ip7250 for approx 4 years
No issues whatsoever

Thanks guys. ip7250 is cheap so can afford the risk, but carts prices put me off. At the silly end of the scale the Mitsubishi CP-D70DW dye-sub printer looks awesome, but at £695 plus vat I'd have to be sure I'd get that money back in client fees.

Looking for printer recommendations for printing out photo quality images up to A4. Most will be 5x7, 6x4, 5x5 and 10x8 (or A4).

I don't have tons of money to spend, thinking £300 maximum.

Don't need scanner or any Wi-fi facility or anything like that, just plug into iMac via USB cable and print off, that's it, nothing complicated or fancy, just a printer that prints off decent quality prints and is reliable and does not cost a fortune for print cartridges or use them up too damn fast.

How have you been going about printing so far or is this a new thing? Have you done your own printing before?

Look at the Epsom eco tank 2700, good prints and cheap to run, Aldi are selling it at 189 atm
I’m looking at printers at the moment and I’m totally confused by the main options. The Epson eco tank 2711 looks like it’s a good price. The ink costs look great, much cheaper than canon printers. It looks like a good option as I mainly want it for general home printing but with the option to print some photos too.

I’m got to make a decision at some point. I’m quite tempted by the Epson eco tank 2711 as the running costs look to be quite reasonable.

My initial thoughts have been to get an A3 printer and use high quality papers from the likes of fotospeed, but I’m now thinking as an introduction to printing I should be a bit more sensible and get something that may not give the highest quality prints but does so at a more reasonable price. This Epson printer with the below Marrutt archival Matt paper may be the sensible choice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marrutt-23...1FY9V3C5D1XE&refRID=YZW5SQ8K1FY9V3C5D1XE&th=1

If transporting regularly, forget inkjets - they'll almost certainly leak at some point which will leave you with a problem. Dye-sub is the way to go; a forum search for dye sub should throw up some pertinent threads.

Back