Printing Black & White problems arghhhh

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I`m tearing what little hair I have left out at the moment with an issue with my Canon MP630.

Trying to pring in black and white, I get a horrible blue tint over it. I`ve got ps to manage colours, and the printer colour management turned off (even tried it the other way around and still got a blue tinge).

Is this just a case of crap printer for mono, or am I missing something here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Take a little black ink on a tissue and dip it in water. If the tissue bleeds blue your knackered.

My R300 has a blue/purple tint. Fortunately my new Canon 9000 prints a good jet black.

What printer is it ?

Take a little black ink on a tissue and dip it in water. If the tissue bleeds blue your knackered.

My R300 has a blue/purple tint. Fortunately my new Canon 9000 prints a good jet black.

What printer is it ?

MP630 Canon

Thanks Chris, just tried that and it is indeed a tad bluish (although not that blue). I must admit i`m not using canon ink, so I wonder if that`s got something to do with it....

Last edited:
It sometimes does that unfortunately. The printer profiles that come with the printer are optimized for genuine Canon ink and papers, and a select few of other brands. If you use 3rd party inks and non-branded paper, the profile for the printer will print it assuming you're using the Canon stuff. I've overcome this, but at a hefty price though. I bought the Spyder Studio kit to calibrate my monitor and printer to match screen colour with printer output. It does work, but still need patience. With 3rd party inks, a lot of the cheap stuff is dye based. Try and find one that is pigment based, that should show some improvements.

Cheers Ray
I am using canon paper at the moment and its 6x4 (less ink waste). I just updated the latest drivers just in case. I tried printing on plain paper and its all good. Just the bloody photo paper (which has a pre set profile), and still blue grrrrr. I dont print that many pix, but its a pain when i want to, and i`m finding a lot of my recent stuff i tend to convert. Maybe i should just sent away and get them printed. This is really hissing me off at the moment, i feel like throwing the damn thing out the window.

Cheers Ray
I am using canon paper at the moment and its 6x4 (less ink waste). I just updated the latest drivers just in case. I tried printing on plain paper and its all good. Just the bloody photo paper (which has a pre set profile), and still blue grrrrr. I dont print that many pix, but its a pain when i want to, and i`m finding a lot of my recent stuff i tend to convert. Maybe i should just sent away and get them printed. This is really hissing me off at the moment, i feel like throwing the damn thing out the window.

I know how you feel! :LOL: I remember spending ages processing a file to get the look that I want and thinking to myself, "that's the one". Running it out through the printer and finding that the colours are all off. Are you injecting ink or are you using 3rd party disposable cartridges?

I know how you feel! :LOL: I remember spending ages processing a file to get the look that I want and thinking to myself, "that's the one". Running it out through the printer and finding that the colours are all off. Are you injecting ink or are you using 3rd party disposable cartridges?

Using 3rd party (realjet) disposable cartridges.

Well

I just downloaded the canon easy photo print ex and tried printing via that, and it`s actually black and white, no colour cast at all, so i`m buggered if i know whats going on there then.

But hey it works, so i think i`ll just edit in ps and print from this.

Thanks for you help Ray, I appreciate the time you`ve taken mate (y)

I think your printer uses the same cartridges as mine, cli-8's except you have a pgi there too. I inject my inks, it's extra work but much cheaper. 6x100ml pigment inks (1 of each colour) is about £21 and a chip resetter for £12. Being that each cartridge holds about 5ml, a 100ml bottle will refill each cartridge 20 times.

Pigment inks from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-CISS-Re...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item1c11f3f24d

Chip resetter from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chip-Resetter...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item335f4b6dd9

Well

I just downloaded the canon easy photo print ex and tried printing via that, and it`s actually black and white, no colour cast at all, so i`m buggered if i know whats going on there then.

No worries, I'm glad you got the problem solved (y)

I think your printer uses the same cartridges as mine, cli-8's except you have a pgi there too. I inject my inks, it's extra work but much cheaper. 6x100ml pigment inks (1 of each colour) is about £21 and a chip resetter for £12. Being that each cartridge holds about 5ml, a 100ml bottle will refill each cartridge 20 times.

Pigment inks from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-CISS-Re...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item1c11f3f24d

Chip resetter from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chip-Resetter...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item335f4b6dd9

OOh thanks for the links mate (y)

If you do decide to go this route, give me a shout. The syringe needles that come with ink refill kits is not long enough to refill these cartridges properly. I have loads of them in the cupboard as I had to buy a box of a minimum x100 when I first started doing mine :LOL: There is knack to refilling these, refilling them by knocking a hole in above the ink well causes the ink to leak out of the head as you pump the ink in. I can send you some of my spare long needles, and can post some pics of the best place to drill and refill from :)

Thanks again Ray, i`ll give it some thought and ley you know.

carts won't make any difference to the output for B&W you'll still get a tint because the single black cart can't do the different tones required.

a good profile can help but you'll still probably suffer some hue to your prints. some papers are worse than others

Well

If that's working, why not turn PS's colour management off and the printer management back on again, to see if that works?

carts won't make any difference to the output for B&W you'll still get a tint because the single black cart can't do the different tones required.

a good profile can help but you'll still probably suffer some hue to your prints. some papers are worse than others

Thanks mate. Makes you wonder in this day and age why "they" haven`t sorted this kind of thing out yet. Hey ho.

If that's working, why not turn PS's colour management off and the printer management back on again, to see if that works?

Tried that Mark, but it was still very blue :shrug: I`ll stick with the canon printing software for mono I think. At least for the time being.

Back