Printing costs

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
Is there a site to compare the various printers on a cost per print basis, excluding the purchase price, I am after the running costs. If there is a thread on here I must be missing it.

I think you'll need to elaborate more, what do you mean by,

cost per print basis,

excluding the purchase price,

the running costs?

What I mean is the cost per print eg:
100 6x4 @ £0.20. This will be made up of the paper and the ink. Paper would be the top photo quality paper.

Thanks for the site but it does not answer my question. What I am asking is the cost of ink per print. Printer A cartridge costs £100 and printer B cartridge costs £150, but print more prints with the cartridge than A. Is there a site that compare printers on the basis of the cost per print not just the price of the printers?

I have just . . . Monday, purchased a new printer. Wanted, value for money, all in one, type machine. They come cheap as chips these days, or you can pay a lot of money . . .

As I dont often print out, but use the printer a fair bit to print web info and do photo copies, I decided the cheaper end was the way to go. I paid £130.00 for an HP 3 years ago, never happy with the print quality and it has died after 3 years . . . ?

The main printing cost is ink and paper, paper is a variable according to the quality you buy, but ink, you are stuck with the brand, although the refill shops do a good deal. They are limited to the ones they can refill?

Final decision, a Kodak 3250, normal price £69.99, 'Tesco on line' @ £62.50. PC World, Comet, would not price match . . . Staples did the business with out a murmur and with a smile:) . . . (y)

The ink for printers is an arm and a leg, how do they justify it . . . £40 to £70 for a full set :shrug: Kodak do an £18 combo pack, fits all their machines or black @ £6.99 and colour @ £11.99. Again, usage is down to what you print out, however, here is Kodak's web page giving calculations:

http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/consumer/print/en_us/overpayment_calculator.html

I sat down this evening and had a play, the software on this model is basic although adequate, closely resembles the software on an old Epsom printer I once owned. Seems to do a lot of automatic adjustments:thinking: (as it does with head alignment) . . .

This is the picture I used to do my tests:

800flyrwDSC_1402.jpg

I have to say, I was concerned at the 'auto' on the colour side . . . but speak as I find . . . it was 'pretty dam close' to what I had on the screen(y) Better than any previous printer I have owned . . . Sharp, pin sharp!!! I would not be embarrassed to print out a picture for anyone who asked . . . 'Well pleased', I think is my final assessment.

So cheap ink, good colour rendition, how long will it last???? how long is a piece of string:thinking:

I give the Kodak 3250 top marks, as a basic budget all in one printer, thats an A+ :)

CJS

Thanks for that link Stuart, answered almost all my questions.

Had a look at the list on Money Saving Expert, and I would caution over some of the prices quoted. The paper price is for low cost inkjet media. If you look at the price of say Ilford Gallerie media it's around 35p-40p per sheet for A4, Hannemulhe can be over £1.00 per sheet .

Also they don't show the image they printed. If it's a simple text and pie chart then it doesn't use much ink. On the other hand a full photograph will use a lot more. However as a comparison it's fine. I've never got the number of Photographic prints from the Epson carts they are suggesting. It's the inks that are expensive relative to the paper.

Back