printing ink & paper

Edit My Images
Yes
hi folks
i have an Epson Stylus SX600FW printer
i can get compatable inks but are they worth bothering with for photos?
also is there a type of paper to use as i just get glossy 200.
my skills are not up to much at the moment so won't be considering taking anything to the shop for printing just yet
what settings should be used for everyday printing?
and is my printer up to the job?

sorry for so many questions but i dont want to spend on genuine inks and expensive paper if its a waste of time

cheers

I've had Epsons for umpteen years and always used compatible inks, as for paper it depends on the ink but Tesco papers are quite good in general. Every so often Lidl do Agfa paper which is very good and cheap too.

thanks for the reply
i was thinking no one printed their own pictures on here:LOL:

Whatever paper you get make sure you have the correct colour profile.

I've just got a HP printer and some cheap glossy paper from Poundland.

When I first tried printing the colours were terrible because I didn't have the correct profiles for it, but I found that choosing "Plain Paper" from the menu gives good results.

I also find that printing on plain 160 gsm paper also gives good results.

Can't comment on your particular setup and printing at home is fine if you want a very quick print, but it is also VERY expensive.

Online printing is cheap, Photobox for example will do 5, 10"x8" prints for just over £7(including postage) and their delivery is very quick.

Dave

Unless you are using custom icc profiles don't expect 3rd party inks and papers to produce prints as accurate as the manufacturers own consumables.

Unless you are using custom icc profiles don't expect 3rd party inks and papers to produce prints as accurate as the manufacturers own consumables.

so what you are saying is that epson inks & paper will give me better results without messing with advanced settings?

so what you are saying is that epson inks & paper will give me better results without messing with advanced settings?
Yes, it is what the printer driver is set up to use.

Original inks will always give the best results (at a price premium) but it's perfectly possible to get excellent results from compatibles too without any messing about. The only Epson inks I've ever used have been the ones that came with a printer and I've always been able to get good printed results.

cheers guys
i printed some pictures today with compatable inks and fuji film paper and they look good enough for what i need at the moment
if i need pro prints i will have a go at photobox like Tringa suggests

Back