Printing multiple images on a page / RIP software?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to routinely print multiple different images on a page. At the moment, I'm creating bespoke Photoshop files sized for the paper size, with different resized images pasted in. Then, ironically, I'm printing the .psd using lightroom, as the print module is far more user friendly.

There must be a better way, surely? I'm clearly doing stupid, aren't I?

That also leads into another question. I think RIP software would allow me to do all of this dynamically, but RIP software is so expensive and most likely has way way more functionality than I'd need, and I'm not really seeing any lower cost, perhaps compromised alternatives. So thought I'd ask here for advice.... or ridicule.... take your pick! ;)

Flexibility would help - it's a 24" printer, so I've got a lot of space to play with, but as long as I get the best out of the roll, I don't mind printing same / similar sized prints

@Bobsyeruncle PC... and.... umm.... yes it might be too simplistic, but I haven't tried it... :oops: :$ I'll have a look! :D

@PhilH04 and @Box Brownie - qimage could be exactly what I'm after and at what looks like a more than affordable price! :D Thanks! @redsnappa, I might have a nosey at Publisher - I've already got that installed I think. InDesign I suspect is on the CC, so costs would be prohibitive monthly, but might have a look at Scribus as well! Thanks too! :)

@Bobsyeruncle PC... and.... umm.... yes it might be too simplistic, but I haven't tried it... :oops: :$ I'll have a look! :D

@PhilH04 and @Box Brownie - qimage could be exactly what I'm after and at what looks like a more than affordable price! :D Thanks! @redsnappa, I might have a nosey at Publisher - I've already got that installed I think. InDesign I suspect is on the CC, so costs would be prohibitive monthly, but might have a look at Scribus as well! Thanks too! :)

As I recall one of the Qimage functions was indeed to make as full a use of printing papers as possible by "fitting" multiple image files onto each single sheet!

Another + here for qimage.
Also like the way you can let the renewal lapse and then just pay the 20 dollars or whatever as and when you want to update to latest version for another 12 months of updates, no forcing of continual renewals unlike other products....

Last edited:
Um Lightroom Print Module?

- Go into print module
- Go into page setup (bottom left) to set paper size
- Layout Style>Custom Package (black x will delete any pages you don't need. I typically only do one page things)
- Drag images from Filmstrip onto paper. Once they're in place, you can resize & reposition, and LR will tell you print resolution & image physical size
- If it's a template you'll use again, click the "+" on the template browser to save it. Next time, go into the Print module and click your template and it'll all be set up for you (paper size & everything)

You can then print to jpeg (for sending to a print lab) or printer
It's a really useful feature in the Print Module.

Last edited:
@Harlequin565 and that was the facepalm / ridicule moment I was waiting on - that there was something pretty obvious and straight forward I was missing! Thanks! :D Though any idea what resizing the image does to the image? Is it properly (dynamically) resizing, or just dragging and degrading the image at the original resolution?

Last edited:
@Harlequin565 and that was the facepalm / ridicule moment I was waiting on - that there was something pretty obvious and straight forward I was missing! Thanks! :D Though any idea what resizing the image does to the image? Is it properly (dynamically) resizing, or just dragging and degrading the image at the original resolution?

No idea, although I suspect it would use the same interpolation which is in the Export module (which comes from Photoshop according to Kelby)

I have used this feature to create A2 "collages" though and my eyes can't perceive any issue. I always keep the aspect ratio correct though (hold shift while dragging) to avoid any weird distortion. If I want any strange aspects, I make a virtual copy & crop in the Develop module then put it in.

Back