Printing on Canvas for first time

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi hoping all are well

I like doing the printing of my photographs myself, hence having a pro1000

As the printer can print to canvas, I would like to give this a go

But I'm confused with what do I actually need.

What is probably a good type of printing canvas for a trail run.

Do I need to coat it after I've printed the canvas or is this dependant on what type of canvas I use?

The frame part I do understand.

Permajet do a canvas test pack which is 12 sheets of A3+ for £26. Worth doing, as the different types of canvas give very different results. My personal favourite is Marrutt's "Ultra Glossy Canvas" because it gives a really nice glossy look without the plasticky feel & finish that comes with glossy RC papers.

Can't advise on finishing as I don't really know, but there are fixative sprays that "protect" the canvas. I've never used them but have only made about 8 or 10 canvas prints. I'm the sort of person that blu-tack's my prints to the wall so clearly I'm not fussy about museum glass and all that jazz. Obviously, if you print on a matt canvas then spray it with a gloss varnish, that's going to change the impact of your image so bear that in mind too.

Thanks for that Harlequin

Well I've been known to use Blue Tac on occasions for the photograph I do like for all the wrong reasons, so wouldn't get to the lounge Wall where I get very fussy to what hangs there.

Def look at the permajet my usual company I use don't do a trail pack :(

I did. have a look around, looked at the permajet will at some point get their test pack, did look at the starter pack but that was rather expensive, so found a starter pack from gocanvas which came with an 17inc roll of canvas.

First test print, well didn't go too well...

Canon gives you a studio pro plug in for PS and LR, load photograph from these into it, and it will work out the wrapping details, just put in the various measurements for your frame size etc. then it will pop into Studio Pro for printing, Should be simple but I use mac with Catalina.... So you hit print and find that according to Canon it wants to print using a default setting which is a paper setting... And no way is it going to let you change anything on the printer panel......

So taken time to resolve what the earth is going on, think I've might have sussed it but not 100% sure... As I'm awaiting for a profile test print to dry enough to get the icc profile done. Then another go....

If for any reason this fails, then other option is to stoke up my laptop which runs windows 10, and transfer photographs and print off here.

Hi Ellie

I mentioned Qimage on your other thread but failed to notice you were using a Mac ~ doh!

Did you notice that the guy that made that had collaborated with another programmer and he has Qimage One.... perhaps worth a look if you did not spot it yourself ? ;)

Hope however you manage that you can resolve the issues :)

Last edited:
Not a very direct answer, but I'm not a fan of canvas, I think it can look rather fake....but what about taking a nice textured rag paper and then either varnishing by hand or waxing? Both give a really unique finish. For wax Renaissance Musueum is yr friend!

I find purely paper very well priced and they are nice guys.

Not a very direct answer, but I'm not a fan of canvas, I think it can look rather fake....but what about taking a nice textured rag paper and then either varnishing by hand or waxing? Both give a really unique finish. For wax Renaissance Musueum is yr friend!

Now, you've given me food for thought... Shall be checking this out

If you want my opinion I couldn't disagree more.

1. Canvas looks just fine. Not sure what is fake in it for you. Maybe if you print an A4, then perhaps it looks odd with the texture. They really start A2 and preferably higher. It gives you a wall display option without glass and frame and that is about it (the other one is Aluminium panels). Personally, you can buy cheap chicom roll for yourself or practice and it will be fine for home decor at reduced cost. Don't expect vivid reds, but the rest is reasonable and a bit like normal matt cotton papers. For customers get proper Canson Museum canvas. Semi-gloss one doesn't need varnish so that's a big saving of expense and terrible hassle. Dust, bugs or uneven application and you have to bin and redo, redo, redo. It's torture.

2. Nothing wrong with textured paper when it is in the frame behind good quality glass. If that is what you want then that is what you need to go for. Varnishing absolutely destroys it though. Glass is the only protection required. P.S. For landscapes you are much better off with smooth papers. Thant's just a personal preference.

PP is a decent supplier but don't discount the others too. Prices vary for different papers. I'd only consider proper brands, and types without OBA.

Last edited:
I think my argument is that canvas was used for oils to a) save weight over boards and b) to give a tooth for the paint/medium to hold onto....ink doesn't need that, which is why I'm not such a big fan....but everyone has different views!

Agree that varnishing can be a nightmare, wax is far more tolerant I find.

Last edited:
Back