Beginner Printing recommendations

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
No
I'm semi-new to printing photos. I'm fine with the actual printing, but I'm not so great at telling what type of paper to use. I'm 100% new to framing, I've never framed a photo.

Printer wise, I'm sorted with Canon pro 100. But I need help with selecting paper/frame and mount colours.

Below is the first photo I wish to print and frame. I was planning on A3 size, seeing as that paper/frame is probably easier and cheaper than A3+.

What paper would you guys recommend for this type of photo? What colour frame and mount?

Thanks for the help.

15608063039_87eb61bd5b_b.jpg

Only just started doing my own printing myself so I'm not really in a position to say but I'd say a nice textured art paper would work nicely depending on what you Pro-100 can take that said the high gloss would work too and be cheaper...personally I've just order a range of sample papers from Hahnemuhle to test out what I like as per sheet they're not exactly cheap :LOL:

Not going to be any help on mounts/frames as personally I'd say that's also going to depend on your decor

Yup, sample packs are the way forward, they allow you to try out different papers without committing to a full box of 25 of one flavour. Try Fotospeed or Permajet also, although I think they make the papers for those brands.

For black and white, I personally like an exhibition style white mount and thin black frame, but as noted above it can depend on your decor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some fine art papers are at their best with pigment ink and not dye printers such as the Pro 100. Check this before ordering.

I would agree with Andy about a white mount and black frame.

I think a nice fibre based paper would be nice for that photo. I've just started using Permajet's Gloss but haven't tried their others yet. They do sell sample packs and provide profiles and will do taylored profiles too.

What you say about A3+ insn't always true. I've bought A3+ paper because it's cheaper than A3 before, but that was a while ago.

Also mounting photos is something else you may consider if you want to get into this side of things. I started doing my own mounts because we have to mount our work for our camera club exhibitions and its not cheap to get them all done by a pro framer if you have a lot to do. I think the guy I used charged around £6 per photo for a 40x50 mount. Ive got Logan's Compact Elite Mat Cutter. We have our mounts at 40x50cm for our exhibition frames and A3 is easier to mount than A3+ at that size because You have to cut some of the width of the A3+ to mount it.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll order a mixed pack of some paper and try that out.

I think I'll go down the black and white frames. At least picturing it in my head and on the computer it looks best.

Mounting wise, I'd like to do that myself as it would be cheaper but I'm not the greatest at cutting. It doesn't matter how well I line it up, I mess it up soon as I start cutting. I did invest in a Rotatrim for cutting the photos, and I'm just about managing that without screwing up too badly. Maybe I should see if I can find a use Elite Mat Cutter or similar and try that out - can always resell it if I suck :p

Without the proper gear, cutting window mounts can be a pain. If you've got a proper angled mount cutter set up, then you're halfway there. A tip someone gave me at the weekend (so I've not tried it out yet) was to make a hole with a pin in the corners that you are cutting to, so that the resistance in the cutter will release when you hit the hole. That way you know when to stop and don't overcut. I can't couch for its effectiveness but it came from someone who knows their stuff!

Thanks for that tip. I'll give it a try when I try cutting. I can imagine overcutting is going to be the worst of my problems.

I second Andy's tip on the 'pinhole in the corner'. I use this method with my Olfa mat cutter and it does work, but can't stress strongly enough how important it is to use a sharp blade.

Rob

Back