Pro-boxing

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Still copying images as my card-reader is playing up on my PC, so takes 5 x as long to copy via the camera and USB cable, grabbed 3 that grabbed my attention from one of the fights (from 6 bouts) Apologies for the watermark, but these images are for sale so I need to put something to prevent the public from being able to just print copies themselves.

Sullivan Mason vs Kevin McCauley by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Thanks for popping in.

I don't get why the rope in the first two ? also all boxers under exposed... last one wonky...

Difficult lighting I know.. but :)

I don't get why the rope in the first two ? also all boxers under exposed... last one wonky...

Difficult lighting I know.. but :)
I stupidly took a 35mm prime, the ring was also very <very> low (for a change) I could literally shoot sitting down and had no way to manoveur left or right of a strap holding the ropes. I havent had a chance to straighten the images yet, just grabbed those few for the punch-captures - first thing on my list when I start the processing tomorrow morning :) . Lights were nice and bright, just all facing me with nothing from behind me to light them up :( Think I need to tinker with the WB too, getting different results due to "disco" lights used (there was a blue light there for some reason...)

As always - appreciate your comments Kipax (y)

I stupidly took a 35mm prime,

haha thats the ONLY lens I use for boxing :)

the ring was also very <very> low (for a change) I could literally shoot sitting down and had no way to manoveur left or right of a strap holding the ropes

haa one of those rings... yeagh there all awkward at best of times but sometimes there real bad.. unlucky mate..

Interesting shots. You'll struggle to do much with white balance having that mix of ambient light, if you balance for the ring, the yellows in the background will just get worse, and vice-versa. I have no experience of boxing but I'm presuming the top bouts would have more even lighting (colour temp wise and coverage)? I guess you just have to come to a reasonable compromise.

Also as you say looks like the main light is coming from the other side, I'm guessing you couldn't shoot from that side? Having said that it's creating a nice rim light round the boxers so I guess it's personal taste. I don't think they are too badly underexposed, look at the full frame, the highlights and shadows are acceptable to me. Shooting into that light with not much fill, I think it's not a bad exposure. Any more and you'd blow the highlights.

I'd just like to see their full legs and feet in the frame, again personal taste.

haha thats the ONLY lens I use for boxing :)

haa one of those rings... yeagh there all awkward at best of times but sometimes there real bad.. unlucky mate..
wow, it was different to a 24-105 thats for sure. I thought its nice and wide and I can drop the aperture below 4 (which is the minimum for the 24-105) and shoot with a little less ISO but I found it a bugger for the AF as they were in shadow most of the time, cheers matey

Interesting shots. You'll struggle to do much with white balance having that mix of ambient light, if you balance for the ring, the yellows in the background will just get worse, and vice-versa. I have no experience of boxing but I'm presuming the top bouts would have more even lighting (colour temp wise and coverage)? I guess you just have to come to a reasonable compromise.

Also as you say looks like the main light is coming from the other side, I'm guessing you couldn't shoot from that side? Having said that it's creating a nice rim light round the boxers so I guess it's personal taste. I don't think they are too badly underexposed, look at the full frame, the highlights and shadows are acceptable to me. Shooting into that light with not much fill, I think it's not a bad exposure. Any more and you'd blow the highlights.

I'd just like to see their full legs and feet in the frame, again personal taste.
thanks steven, will take the 24-105 and 35mm next time, depending on ring height, will swap for best that I find most comfortable. Yep, I normally close aperture to 24 to get everything in where I can but I couldnt with the 35mm and their position (for these punches), got plenty of shots where the full body is in view, just not as good "action" shots (for this fight) will review the others later today and see what else pops up - thanks for commenting :)

It's a nearly but not quite ! Bet they will come out top notch next time .... good effort !

Great shots, I'm trying to get myself ready to capture my twin brother who's doing a zero to hero boxing thing- 10 weeks training with fight at end! White collar I believe, have a front row table booked so hopefully see him get knocked out haha!!

Great shots, I'm trying to get myself ready to capture my twin brother who's doing a zero to hero boxing thing- 10 weeks training with fight at end! White collar I believe, have a front row table booked so hopefully see him get knocked out haha!!
lol, hope you enjoy it and please post up pics when you do ! :)

Great shots! Not perfect, (but better than what I could do) The timing of the shots are excellent. I'm jealous you got ringside seats! :)

Just out of interest, I do like to watch a bit of live boxing, do you have to have any kind of permission to take your DSLR in, or use it? (Apart from still having to buy ringside seats).

was going to ask about lenses.
I quite fancy the 28mm canon prime, (as a cheap option) as my fight images on a f/2.8 were okay, but I wanted faster!
is 35mm wide enough for boxing?

Great shots! Not perfect, (but better than what I could do) The timing of the shots are excellent. I'm jealous you got ringside seats! :)

Just out of interest, I do like to watch a bit of live boxing, do you have to have any kind of permission to take your DSLR in, or use it? (Apart from still having to buy ringside seats).
You've got four choices really:
#1 Get a press pass from a newspaper - hard as they have their own photographers or use well-established ones.
#2 Buy a ticket, pay extra for almost ringside and have a long lens and not get very good shots because the ropes will be in the way
#3 - what I done, get in with a boxing club by offering to do some free promo shots and photograph their boxers in action. Hope that you can sell your photos.
#4 Get in with the promoters

was going to ask about lenses.
I quite fancy the 28mm canon prime, (as a cheap option) as my fight images on a f/2.8 were okay, but I wanted faster!
is 35mm wide enough for boxing?
I believe a few on here use 35mm for boxing - it is most definitely wide enough but Im not sure at F2.8 though, especially if they're on the other side of the ring, sharpness may drop off at that distance and if you crop in to get a good piece of action, you've lowered your pixel count and print size as well (if you want to keep your print quality up). I'm sticking to my 24-105 - its wide enough, F4 is decent enough for speed (dont be afraid of high ISO, grain just adds to the image) plus I can zoom in for some good action shots

You've got four choices really:
#1 Get a press pass from a newspaper - hard as they have their own photographers or use well-established ones.
#2 Buy a ticket, pay extra for almost ringside and have a long lens and not get very good shots because the ropes will be in the way
#3 - what I done, get in with a boxing club by offering to do some free promo shots and photograph their boxers in action. Hope that you can sell your photos.
#4 Get in with the promoters

Thanks. :)

They aren't bad.
I find with boxing / kick boxing etc its all down to a knowledge of the sports also as to what to watch for.
You can get some really great shots with just knowing what is coming next.

Back