Processing Olympus High Res Shots

Edit My Images
No
From a conversation on the OM-D owners thread, I wanted to share what the output from Capture One vs Olympus Workspace of these types of RAW files was like. Here are some initial files & two images. One from Capture One and the other exported as a TIFF from Olympus Workspace then edited in On1 Photo RAW 2020.

Below is a link to all the files for you to have a look at, feel free to experiementwith the RAW file too. I know Capture One does not support these files but there maybe a way of getting better results.

Capture One image:
_A260907_Capone by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

Olympus Workspace then edited in On1 Photo RAW 2020 image:

_A260907_Edited by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

Original files (573MB): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xo0373zdaoiiout/AADw1EQgqZpSAUHMV3DaJmSna?dl=0

Interesting. I prefer the CaptureOne treatment of the OOF areas and the On1 treatment of the centre of the rose.

Hi Jonathan!

Well, I can immediately see a superior image quality in the image from Olympus Workspace > Edited in ON1 [I have ON1 too but usually only use its Filters, not its Develop adjustments].

Just so I can be sure I clearly understand please : The original image has been shot in the Olympus camera's 'High Res RAW' mode and then the RAW data converted in Olympus Workspace. And then no adjustments made until exported as a TIFF into ON1 Develop.

But has the first image (shot in High Res RAW mode) shown above and titled 'Capture One image' (a) - bypassed Olympus Workspace entirely? or (b) - just bypassed having any adjustments in Workspace?

I can't download from Dropbox at the moment because I no longer have the email I registered with them, so will have to contact them and sort it out first before I can try anything with your files.

Hi Jonathan!

Well, I can immediately see a superior image quality in the image from Olympus Workspace > Edited in ON1 [I have ON1 too but usually only use its Filters, not its Develop adjustments].

Just so I can be sure I clearly understand please : The original image has been shot in the Olympus camera's 'High Res RAW' mode and then the RAW data converted in Olympus Workspace. And then no adjustments made until exported as a TIFF into ON1 Develop.

But has the first image (shot in High Res RAW mode) shown above and titled 'Capture One image' (a) - bypassed Olympus Workspace entirely? or (b) - just bypassed having any adjustments in Workspace?

I can't download from Dropbox at the moment because I no longer have the email I registered with them, so will have to contact them and sort it out first before I can try anything with your files.

Drop box should let you download without registration.

Yes capture one raw file bypassed Olympus workspace. I didn't apply adjustment in workspace on any of them.

It was shot in high res mode.

Interesting. I prefer the CaptureOne treatment of the OOF areas and the On1 treatment of the centre of the rose.
I think it would help if I masked my adjustment in On1 so only the center of the flower is effected as a softer outer would be nice.

Yes capture one raw file bypassed Olympus workspace. I didn't apply adjustment in workspace on any of them.

It was shot in high res mode.

.... Okay, so the first shown image was RAW converted by Capture One if it bypassed Workspace? Or does RAW conversion only happen at the instant an adjustment is made? Sorry but I am a little confused by this.

And the second shown image was loaded into Workspace where it had no adjustments made and then was exported and edited (adjustments made) in ON1?

If you made adjustments in ON1 but not in Capture One isn't the comparison like between apples and oranges? I don't understand why once the ORF is saved as a TIFF (via Workspace) it can't be edited in Capture One as you did in ON1.

I think your work demonstrates that Workspace TIFF > ON1 achieves better IQ than bypassing Workspace and going straight into Capture One. I am going to try the file going Workspace TIFF > Capture One and also try adjustments in either. This could suit me better because I would be using Workspace to cull and select images anyway. But how are those ORF files shot in High Res mode separately identified? Just by Mb size?

Perhaps I should download just your original ORF file (shot in High Res RAW mode) and explore how it best fits my workflow after I receive my E-M1X on Monday and have its serial # to then be able to register and download Workspace.

I have opened a fresh free account with Dropbox using my up to date email.

.... Okay, so the first shown image was RAW converted by Capture One if it bypassed Workspace? Or does RAW conversion only happen at the instant an adjustment is made? Sorry but I am a little confused by this.

Capture One, no workspace involved. Edited in Capture One then processed to a JPG sharpened for screen.

....And the second shown image was loaded into Workspace where it had no adjustments made and then was exported and edited (adjustments made) in ON1?

Yes.

If you made adjustments in ON1 but not in Capture One isn't the comparison like between apples and oranges? I don't understand why once the ORF is saved as a TIFF (via Workspace) it can't be edited in Capture One as you did in ON1.

I don't understand why once the ORF is saved as a TIFF (via Workspace) it can't be edited in Capture One as you did in ON1., good point need to try that.

apples and oranges, potentially yes! I thought that it would be good to go through this process as my knowledge about how to process these High Res files needs to be improved. I can see now some other ways to work on these based on the conversation here already.

....Perhaps I should download just your original ORF file (shot in High Res RAW mode) and explore how it best fits my workflow after I receive my E-M1X on Monday and have its serial # to then be able to register and download Workspace.

I thought I would share the files as that's the best way to have a go with the same image I shot.

I think that has covered all your points, if not give me nudge didn't mean to leave any out. I am hoping at the very least doing this will mean I get better shots in the High Resolution mode & help others also.

I thought that it would be good to go through this process as my knowledge about how to process these High Res files needs to be improved. I can see now some other ways to work on these based on the conversation here already.

I thought I would share the files as that's the best way to have a go with the same image I shot.

I think that has covered all your points, if not give me nudge didn't mean to leave any out. I am hoping at the very least doing this will mean I get better shots in the High Resolution mode & help others also.

.... Thanks Jonathan, everything you have posted has been very helpful.

I shall share my findings here too in due course so we can all possibly help each other.

My expectation would be that if you applied the same equivalent edits to the High Res RAW ORF > Workspace TIFF > either in ON1 or in CaptureOne, the results would be equally acceptable and down to personal preferences.

Back