Processing RAW files in PS CS5

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
After selling my Nik D700 moving onto the Nik D750, it appears i am unable to open the raw files in PS CS5. Any ideas please.

You can use the DNG converter to create files compatible with CS5:

(DNG files are still raw, so they can be read by Adobe Camera Raw just like NEFs. But personally I would also keep the original NEF in case you need to go back to it, or read it in non-Adobe software, which isn't always DNG-compatible).

Or you might want to convert to tiff using Nikon's own free converter, Capture NX-D:

Or try the free Nikon edition of Capture One Express (also converts to tiff):

Last edited:
Capture NX-D works well ... or try what I just discovered thanks to @Box Brownie FastRawViewer a great little programme that allows you to open your D750 files and export to Photoshop. :)

Capture NX-D works well ... or try what I just discovered thanks to @Box Brownie FastRawViewer a great little programme that allows you to open your D750 files and export to Photoshop. :)

Glad you found it useful :)

We had a walk on Monday and I went to a local pond .....weather conditions not right for the Dragons I was hoping to see but...... water lillies, the odd duck have me about 90 frames to go through.

Using FastRawViewer I checked & culled the lot in less than 5 mins.

The tools I had mentioned in the other thread did the job.....plus another one I did not initially notice. This is the USM sharpening applicator, it shows the effect of a USM pass and that together with the previously checked out so good, it just increased my pleasure on using it, proving to me that it was a good addition to my PP arsenal.

I bought it that evening at their 25% off figure (which looks like it is still in place after the 30th June deadline) !

Thanks Retune;
I have used the DNG converter in the past, so thought i would download, however already run into an issue, although i am trying to solve with there chat team, but appears no one is answering, any ideas on the following, Hi. I have just downloaded the DNG converter, on on start up i get the following; MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer, .. Any ideas please ?

I do have the Capture NX-D: which came with the camera, but would like to use DNG coverter if poss.. Thanks.

After selling my Nik D700 moving onto the Nik D750, it appears i am unable to open the raw files in PS CS5. Any ideas please.

I'm on a PC and I had this problem the other night with Photoshop as I wanted to dabble in a bit of HDR (not really my thing though and my Lightroom was only version 5 as well so couldn't do it in there). For Photoshop to read D750 raws I believe you need Adobe Camera Raw 8.7 or newer (comes packaged as DNG Converter 8.7), which means PS CS6 or newer I believe.

However, I couldn't get PS to see it or a later version of ACR so eventually just gave up and upgraded to PS v21 but I found the HDR pretty poor. I also upgraded LR and the HDR is far better, although when looking at how it adjusts the usual sliders I'm not sure just how much HDR it really is, or if it's really just pulling back info which I can do anyway with a single exposure?

Yes, the ACR 8.7 plugin will only intall in CS6, so the DNG converter is the only supported route for CS5. LR 5.7 should also work. Adobe have tables of which raw formats work in which versions of ACR (and LR), and also of which versions of ACR are compatible with which versions of PS:

Hi Graham. Thanks for the info, I am using CS5, and don't think it is supported as Adobe Camera Raw, I have done some adjustments and it appears the DNG is now working. Now going to put it through its paces.. regards..

Thanks Retune;
I have used the DNG converter in the past, so thought i would download, however already run into an issue, although i am trying to solve with there chat team, but appears no one is answering, any ideas on the following, Hi. I have just downloaded the DNG converter, on on start up i get the following; MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer, .. Any ideas please ?

I do have the Capture NX-D: which came with the camera, but would like to use DNG coverter if poss.. Thanks.
You might need the MS Visual C++ redistributable. See:

At the bottom of the page, under 'Other Tools and Frameworks', see the links to 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019'. Note that I haven't tested this!

Edit: Glad it's fixed. I'll leave this up in case anyone else needs to install the dll.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the results from NX-D to those from ACR. And it's worth getting the current version, as they've added some bells and whistles recently (like control points, which had been missing since the demise of NX2).

Thanks Retune, I did find that on my search but was hesitant, i did download but not opened thus far... Might well help someone else..

You might need the MS Visual C++ redistributable. See:

At the bottom of the page, under 'Other Tools and Frameworks', see the links to 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019'. Note that I haven't tested this!

Edit: Glad it's fixed. I'll leave this up in case anyone else needs to install the dll.

Back