Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
I'm am totally fine with sending to all as I'm likely to get more then is required to send other folks that aren't part of the swap. But also happy to go with the consensus.

As for postage, 68p for A5 second class. Just buy on the Royal mail site. Print out, stick to envelope and post.

I do also like the idea of a Zine swap meet up.

On a side note, my zine got featured on the Negative Positives podcast #341 [emoji38]

On a side note, my zine got featured on the Negative Positives podcast #341 [emoji38]
Yeah heard that last night. I do think Mike has a great way of describing things. Congrats on the shoutout!

As for postage, 68p for A5 second class. Just buy on the Royal mail site. Print out, stick to envelope and post.

be careful with that, I sent my 12 page+covers by first class and 2 people were stung for postage costs. (I know I sound contrite but I'm laughing inside, just don't tell anyone :giggle: )

I weigh everything I send and have also made a mock up slot thing to gauge size.
For these Zines i'm thinking about getting some inkjet labels, A4 sheet divided into 2 X A5 labels.
Then buy postage from the Royal Mail website and print off, will also get some of those card backed stiff envelopes.

Now to edit the photos and work out how to get it ready for the printers, posting will be the easy bit I reckon.

Now to edit the photos and work out how to get it ready for the printers, posting will be the easy bit I reckon.

For me, choosing the photos is the trickiest bit. It really helps (I think) to "shoot for the zine" so that I don't end up with a great image that's in the wrong orientation for the booklet shape I decide on. I've discarded a lot of images I really liked simply because they didn't fit. My OCD tidyness would be screaming at me if I put a landscape image in a book full of portraits. And whilst that doesn't work for me, other people do manage to get it to work.

That's why I'm contemplating going all square for zine #3, with an overly large one going to @Mr Perceptive :angelic:

For me, choosing the photos is the trickiest bit. It really helps (I think) to "shoot for the zine" so that I don't end up with a great image that's in the wrong orientation for the booklet shape I decide on. I've discarded a lot of images I really liked simply because they didn't fit. My OCD tidyness would be screaming at me if I put a landscape image in a book full of portraits. And whilst that doesn't work for me, other people do manage to get it to work.

That's why I'm contemplating going all square for zine #3, with an overly large one going to @Mr Perceptive :angelic:

It’s hip to be square

I have been playing with existing photos and affinity to try to come up with a format and a layout I like
never really considered square!!!!

thanks for the idea , will see how that looks

All zines opened and looked at, thank you very much for sending them.
Not going to comment on them individually, all good in their own way and enjoyable to browse.

Exactly what I wanted to see how others go about it especially from a format angle.
Will do my best to produce something of interest in a decent looking publication.

I've just found a zine PDF I'd forgotten about.

If I can't come up with anything fresh before April that one will do. :LOL:

Hi All, I have created a flickr group for a like-minded photographers to share their work directly on flickr, its invitation only but if anyone in the zine community would like to join either go to the group and request to join or let me have your flickr user name and I'll send you an invitation - https://www.flickr.com/groups/14722736@N25/

I think I know what I'll be doing for my zine and need to pull my finger out to collate the pictures now. How's everyone else getting on?

I know what I'm doing. Just need to get the images together. Actually it's more a case of making sure I have enough to curate down from when we get to March.

I'm alarmed to see that people even have a plan before the 31st of March :D

Needless to say I'm still at the coming up with ideas stage which will quickly transition into the too late to do any of them stage followed by the scrape something together from the back catalogue in a panic stage

I had 2 plans, plan A required action on 1st January, which was not possible due to lockdown restrictions, plan B involves a new camera, which isn't in my grubby little mitt yet :/

in short, i'm behind (again)

I always had a Plan B, very fortunate because Plan A was curtailed by Lockdown 3
Just need to get a bit more proficient with Affinity publisher now.
Also using a new raw converter or at least a newer version of one I used five or so years ago
Its called Photo Ninja, probably better known for its Noise Ninja software which is included.

my plan A was also scuppered by lockdown
as was B,C,D.......Y

now on plan Z which is plan A minus 2 , may make sense if it all works out

Gary

Good to see that enthusiasm is making up for how much we get laughed at [by whatever entity you believe in] for making plans.

I think I know what I'll be doing for my zine and need to pull my finger out to collate the pictures now. How's everyone else getting on?

I've done the shooting, but now need to zine-ify the project, have so far opened InDesign and not got much further than that!..

I'm another one that has had plan A somewhat scuppered by Lockdown. If it's lifted soon I could probable still do plan A.

Plan B isn't great though

I've really gone off him tbh. Not sure why... I think I find a lot of his work (video and photography) to be over-produced and terribly serious. Probably my time of the month... Oh wait...

I'm going through a Daniel Milnor phase at the moment. They guy makes me laugh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88t0dqB_DJw

I really like Sean videos.
This is no exception, however might be a little ott for a simple zine.

View: https://youtu.be/IDV5QjbDuNA
I find him profoundly irritating for some reason. Perhaps because he's so bloody earnest about it all. I can see why he appeals to a lot of people though.

PS That video is an advert for his book...

Last edited:
just don’t get a quote for 20 zines from his preferred supplier unless you are sitting down!!
I didn't like the way they harvest your details before giving you the quote so I assumed it wouldn't be a quote I'd like!

Idea:
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opnions on having their zine reviewed?

I'm not talking a full mahoosive diatribe, just a brief paragraph a bit like wot I did here. (Post 250 if the link is wrong)

But rather than having everyone try and review all the zines, I was thinking of making it optional. When we get to April and the "sending address" bit, people just say yes or no to "Review My Zine" (much like the "edit my images" flag against username). If no (which is assumed if they don't specify) they don't take part in that bit. If yes, I'll put names in a hat and one person will review one of the zines they receive (from someone who also said yes). Again - no massive missives, just a brief paragraph saying what they think about that zine, and what they liked.

It's not complicated, optional, and obviously if no-ones interested we won't bother. I just found it nice when Mike reviewed my zine on Neg Pos (and Vania for All Through A Lens with 13 Seconds) and I know Alex (@Shugpug ) has also had his read out on air as well as @MrDrizz

Last edited:
Idea:
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opnions on having their zine reviewed?

I think it's a lovely idea and I'm more than happy to have mine reviewed and do likewise for another.

I'm not sure I can match your standard of writing reviews as in post 250 but I'll certainly give it a go.

I've now got a couple of ideas for my zine and just need to make a start on the photography and convince myself I'm going in the right direction.

Maybe stipulate that to get a review one must write a review too?
It would be automatic. Don't opt in, don't get reviewed. Some people are quite happy with their work and don't feel the need to have any feedback (just look at some of the photo threads on TP for example!) and I wouldn't want to force it on anyone. Some people like it, some don't. No right or wrong.

I have a strange request to make, does anyone here have an objection to meat?
Just finished a series of photos that might make a good zine.
Would hate to offend anyone unintentionally with the subject matter.
Thanks

I have a strange request to make, does anyone here have an objection to meat?

Initially, I thought you'd typo'd and meant meet... :D

It's fine by me.

Back