Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
Sooooooo

November, December and January are gone. February, March and April remaining. That's halfway for any of you that have had your feet up.

But don't worry. If you think time is running out....

bbabre.JPG

I uploaded a sample (to check on a layout) to Mixam on the 4th and it's showing delivery on the 11th. The suspense is killing me!

I think I am 90% done, am seriously considering home printing it.
Would 5 sheets of double sided a4 , giving 20 a5 sides be ok or am I being stingy?
Gary

I think I am 90% done, am seriously considering home printing it.
Would 5 sheets of double sided a4 , giving 20 a5 sides be ok or am I being stingy?
Gary
I'm sure that would be more than fine.

Consider the work involved though. I think I made 8 copies of my "6 heads of me" zine which was made from 1 sheet of A3 folded to give 8 pages. I was thoroughly glad to finish all the folding!

I just went back a couple of pages and it looks like we had 16 people signing up. That's a lot of printing, folding and stapling :)

Although I suppose if you start now, you could be done by the end of April :)

I will hopefully finalise it in the next couple of days so as I only work part time , Sat,Sun and Mon I will have plenty of time for printing

I uploaded a sample (to check on a layout) to Mixam on the 4th and it's showing delivery on the 11th. The suspense is killing me!
Despatched on the 10th and still no sign. :(

Despatched on the 10th and still no sign. :(
Samples have arrived at last. The postmark says the 15th. Hmm. :shifty:

On the plus side my layout worked and the choice of paper is what I hoped too. All that remains is to go take the photos. Then probably produce something completely different for the swap!

quick affinity publisher question

produced zine last week , printed out to check all seems ok except one picture needed re editing
re edited today
opened file in affinity but it says all my photos are missing??

they are all still in same folder

any thoughts as to why this is , have I missed a setting somewhere?

ta

gary

produced zine last week , printed out to check all seems ok except one picture needed re editing
re edited today

ta

gary
If the frames for the pictures are still showing on the pages, but empty, maybe try using the replace picture facility to relocate them?

Last edited:

re edited today

ta

gary

I think pics can either be embedded or referenced in, sounds like you have referenced them. If that's the case changing a directory name, drive letter or the "path" in any way will mess up the links. Similarly if you are linking off a network drive using DHCP, or off a cloud storage, then the same will happen if the PC or storage IP address changes.

All of which is why I always embed :)

its weird
pictures are in same place as when I created zine
when doc opened affinity says some resources are missing would you like to locate them
I clicked yes and opened the first picture in the folder and !!!! miraculously all others appeared as well!!

see what happens next time

its weird
pictures are in same place as when I created zine
when doc opened affinity says some resources are missing would you like to locate them
I clicked yes and opened the first picture in the folder and !!!! miraculously all others appeared as well!!

see what happens next time

Its done that on me before now, I think after I edited one or more, I have no idea why but fortunately as you found its quite easy to get them back.

Ok so after collecting Cafe Royal zines for several years (and being impressed with ‘Off the Rails’ by @Mr Perceptive) I’ve decided to cobble a few of my own together. I’m not exactly new to self publishing having done a few books on Blurb that I sell via my website but good though they are, Blurb are too expensive, even with their 40% discounts. And the postage on their magazines is prohibitively expensive.

I’ve read all the threads on TP, and have bought a copy of Affinity Publisher which I’m getting my head round, and have put together a sample zine that Mixam have printed for me. Probably more by luck than judgement - so I’m not sure it’s repeatable - it’s come out spot on, so I’m going to press ahead and get some proper ones done.

If I want to get involved in the TP zine swap jamboree how many should I order?

That's a last minute decision when everyone's committed to the swap. :) Or just keep increasing the quantity at Mixam until it goes over the minimum price., which is usually 20 copies IIRC.

I shall be tagging people at the end of April and asking them to reply yay or nay so that we all now how many to get printed. Folks should then make their print orders and get things posted out before the end of May.

Earlier in this thread I counted 16 people saying they'd go for it, so that's currently a "worst case" scenario. I think Mixam do 20-25 as a minimum (or their cost doesn't start increasing 'till you go over that number) so that should still work out ok. It's highly likely that it'll be in the 10-15 region if I had to guess.

Welcome to the party... Having seen some of your work Andy, I shall have to up my game :)

Welcome to the party... Having seen some of your work Andy, I shall have to up my game :)

I shall have to find a game to up :LOL:

Actually, having had a possibly workable idea for Plan F I am slightly more optimistic about this

That's a last minute decision when everyone's committed to the swap. :) Or just keep increasing the quantity at Mixam until it goes over the minimum price., which is usually 20 copies IIRC.

Yeah, I’ve only half read some of the thread, apologies!

I’ll order maybe 25, I can probably palm off some zines to people I know, and the remainder to any passers by if necessary [emoji106]

Yeah, I’ve only half read some of the thread, apologies!

I’ll order maybe 25, I can probably palm off some zines to people I know, and the remainder to any passers by if necessary [emoji106]
Check the price at Mixam because there is a point where it bumps up - which might also depend on page count .

My idea is underway. All I had to do was take a set number of photos (I did that this morning ) and slot them into the template I used to make my test zine (I did that this afternoon). :giggle:

All worked well. Letting it stew a while in case it needs a tweak or two before sending to print. Got loads of time spare now so might start another one. :LOL:

I shall be tagging people at the end of April and asking them to reply yay or nay so that we all now how many to get printed. Folks should then make their print orders and get things posted out before the end of May.

Earlier in this thread I counted 16 people saying they'd go for it, so that's currently a "worst case" scenario. I think Mixam do 20-25 as a minimum (or their cost doesn't start increasing 'till you go over that number) so that should still work out ok. It's highly likely that it'll be in the 10-15 region if I had to guess.

Thank you for the kind words, I’ll have to see how well my work translates to a smaller form both in terms of numbers and physical size. I have a number of square zines from various sources in my collection, so I’m going to go with that format as I’m used to seeing my work printed A3. The reproduction from Mixam is pretty good, the sample I got done has come out OK.IMG_7396.JPGIMG_7397.JPGIMG_7398.JPG

All I had to do was take a set number of photos (I did that this morning ) and slot them into the template I used to make my test zine (I did that this afternoon). :giggle:

Why is it that I feel this statement needs the "Not Sure If Serious" meme...?

Why is it that I feel this statement needs the "Not Sure If Serious" meme...?
Perfectly serious.

I'd had a dry run a while back and sorted the idea out in my head. It really was a case of waiting for conducive weather/light and go fill in the blanks.

Of course, there's no saying the result will appeal to anyone but me! :exit:

Last edited:
Finally made a start putting my Zine together in Publisher, 18 pages so far, granted I am using old images for now but I do need to head out to make pictures that are missing. That shouldn't take long.

It's now at version 4 and has even less mass appeal!
Reshot for V5 today and the likely appreciative audience has dwindled further. I might send out two zines so recipients can throw this one in the bin and not feel cheated! :LOL:

Got the chance of a few retakes for my meat project this coming Tuesday.
Think that's the one I'm going with until I opt for the other candidate.

I may well avoid this one, it's not unusual for me to have cock all squared at this point, but I haven't even got much in the way of a a bubbling under to push through at a gallop as I did last time :/
Can you not use images you already have? Maybe pick a theme like colour or shape.

Can you not use images you already have? Maybe pick a theme like colour or shape.

I could do that, I did that for the first one as it was something I wanted to print anyway, I'll use that as a fall back position. One of my original ideas was to revisit a project I shot a decade ago, but lockdown stopped that. I could use the original images

The clock's ticking! :D

I'm on the home straight with jus ttwo hurdles to jump. One of which is Mixam doing what they did with my last proof copies. Sent an email on the 3rd saying it's despatched on schedule but nothing has turned up yet. :(

Got all my photos sorted, still getting to grips with Affinity Publisher though.
Sure I'll be ready when the time comes or at least fairly sure anyway.

That's odd. got my samples through and they're not the full A5, they've been chopped off at the bottom. :thinking:

Back